Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to start, because i cannot remember if i put this info in my sig-line, i have a 77 bonnie with solid state electrics: boyer digital ignition, solid state rectifier/regulator (i think it is a mighty max), which i've been running for years.

so, my stator cooked. it was old and i found the wires coming out of it had lost their insulation, so i thought that was the problem. i replaced it.

i checked the voltage at the battery at idle, 12.8 volts, and at about 4500 RPM's, 14.5 volts, and figured that was probably within spec. i rode away. it ran great.

about 8 miles later, it shut off. i could smell the stator was cooked again, smoke coming out of the primary breather hose. the fuse was burnt. i limped it home, and it died in the driveway. the smell of cooking stator was very strong.

i am not an electrical genius, so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to look at your zener diode.
there is no zener. the prince of darkness has been exorcised. its all solid state.

i found the problem though. after reading some similar posts, i decided it must be short in front of the fuse. sure enough, following the black wire out of the mighty max unit, the insulation is stripped from rubbing on the frame.

anyone want a cafe bonnie (cheap)? after fifteen years, i am over it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nynor you over loaded the alternator. Although GPZ mentions your Zenor Diode, you have a combination electronic rectifier/regulator of which part acts as the same thing. You might want to check this unit out first and then check for shorts.
Did you do anything recently to overload the rectifier/regulator to damage it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nynor you over loaded the alternator. Although GPZ mentions your Zenor Diode, you have a combination electronic rectifier/regulator of which part acts as the same thing. You might want to check this unit out first and then check for shorts.
Did you do anything recently to overload the rectifier/regulator to damage it?
i did find a short, the black wire right out of the box, right before the fuse feeding the negative side of the battery (it is still positive ground). i cannot think of anything i could do to overload the rectifier, other than the short: no high power lights, no trailer, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what are the odds that the mighty max is toast?

i am thinking replace anyway, as it has had this abuse and will most likely fail, even if it works right now...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ordering the new parts tomorrow (today, actually, it is 2AM). when i get it sorted, i'll list it here for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts