Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen tons of the actual latch on eBay, but none from thunderbirds. So my question is, which ones would work for my legend, and where can I find the part that attaches to the seat? I can't find that part anywhere. Any info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was lucky enough to find one from a T-bird on ebay, but IIRC others have used latches from various Triumph models (Rocket 3, Speed Triple, etc.). I believe that someone even said they used a latch from a Kawasaki model. The other model's cable may or may not be the right length to work with the key lock on the side cover, but it can be made to work by tying the cable to the subframe with the end of the cable sticking out just enough to yank on the end of it with your fingers to release the seat. I have unused key lock parts but opted to do this with my cable because I've read that the auxillary airbox that it mounts to becomes brittle with age (mine is still intact at the moment and I wanted to keep it that way.)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
If you search for 'seat latch mod' you should bring up the details and pics of another forum member who created his own catch to fit the latch. Going by his (sorry I can't remember the name) work, I did a very similar thing, but as I don't have a welder, I used two nuts - one cut down the middle to fit underneath the plate of metal - to secure the pin. There is a purpose-built recess under the Legend seat I used (and under the king/queen seat also) which lines up with the spot where the latch goes, so getting that right isn't too hard. I can well imagine that, as the key needs some pressure on it to turn it and pull the cable, the secondary airbox it attaches to might give somewhere after much use. Never read of it happening here, though. And the secondary airbox isn't essential, as I understand it, except to mount the side cover to (and the lock, of course). I actually wasn't too fussed by having to unscrew the seat when I needed to get it off. It drove some people around here nuts! But I thought I needed a new ignition, so figured I'd buy one which came with the latch (so I wouldn't need a second key). Now I love being able to get the seat off so easily. I think several people have said the latch is pretty universal. Should be a pic around here of it. If not, I'll take one for you and post it if you want. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you search for 'seat latch mod' you should bring up the details and pics of another forum member who created his own catch to fit the latch. Going by his (sorry I can't remember the name) work, I did a very similar thing, but as I don't have a welder, I used two nuts - one cut down the middle to fit underneath the plate of metal - to secure the pin. There is a purpose-built recess under the Legend seat I used (and under the king/queen seat also) which lines up with the spot where the latch goes, so getting that right isn't too hard. I can well imagine that, as the key needs some pressure on it to turn it and pull the cable, the secondary airbox it attaches to might give somewhere after much use. Never read of it happening here, though. And the secondary airbox isn't essential, as I understand it, except to mount the side cover to (and the lock, of course). I actually wasn't too fussed by having to unscrew the seat when I needed to get it off. It drove some people around here nuts! But I thought I needed a new ignition, so figured I'd buy one which came with the latch (so I wouldn't need a second key). Now I love being able to get the seat off so easily. I think several people have said the latch is pretty universal. Should be a pic around here of it. If not, I'll take one for you and post it if you want. Hope this helps!

Yes please do!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Okay, took the pics at last. I didn't have much luck getting one of the pin, but BigAl's are great. Welding would be better, as I had to come up with a plate that had a gap in the centre underneath to accommodate the nut.

(Sorry, I can't seem to upload the pic of the pin.)

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried searching through bigal's posts and couldn't find the one with his seat pin mod. I'd like to see a pic!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Here's a pdf version of BigAl's post.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a ton! that is very helpful! what about the cable end that goes to the lock on the side cover? My bike doesn't have one (obviously), so my question is it easy to pull with just your fingers? or have you guys modified something to pull it?

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Being addicted to chrome, I bought a set of the earlier chrome side covers (with the hole for the lock) and modified them to fit the pins on my later model bike. So my seat lock is set up as stock. 1st point that led to this was thinking I needed a new ignition, and saw one which came with the seat lock cable (on the same key). Away I went. The airbox on my bike still had the mounting points for the lock, and the under-seat holes in the frame were there for the catch mechanism.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks bigal! I scored a stock seat pin on ebay, just need to make a plate for it which won't be hard at all. The bike is almost done! Just need to wire up my fender delete kit, and start painting. You guys are going to like what I've done with it (even the purists)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts