Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I hope everything finds you well.

Just became a member a few days ago and already had a few questions about an S4 I bought.

The front headlights had broken lenses and I was looking for replacement ones. Some off of bikebandit and such were quite expensive and I was wondering if there are cheaper ones that I could install or where to look for parts?

Failing that, I'm not a big fan of the dual headlights, so was thinking of converting to a single light. Any issues or ideas on this one?

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
163 Posts
ahhh, but a Speed 4 has to have the bug eye headlights!

used parts are hard to come by, ya just have to keep looking.

I'm sure someone here will point you in the right direction, or show you another headligt that'd fit....

sorry I couldn't be of much help..

uhhh, where'd you get the Speed Four...was it crashed...our crashed Speed Four was on ebay( sold from our insurance co), it wasn't that one was it??

·
Registered
907 Posts
ill sell my lenses for $100 for both if you dont mind staying bug eyed

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's a good price - Triumph requires donation of an organ for factory headlights...

You could also do a google search for adjure headlights - they have some pretty sharp looking replacements for the stock ones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2006-12-07 16:51, SDFOUR wrote:
ahhh, but a Speed 4 has to have the bug eye headlights!

used parts are hard to come by, ya just have to keep looking.

I'm sure someone here will point you in the right direction, or show you another headligt that'd fit....

sorry I couldn't be of much help..

uhhh, where'd you get the Speed Four...was it crashed...our crashed Speed Four was on ebay( sold from our insurance co), it wasn't that one was it??

:(

<sigh>

Alright, I'll just fess up now. I did, in fact, end up buying that bike. I saw the post about it AFTER I had already brought it down to Maryland.

The seller/salvage yard failed to mention quite a bit about the bike, but it did run. They used jumper wires to get it to fire up. They didn't say anything about the forks or the engine casing. Honestly, I liked the bike and feel like it'd be a good project. Been a while since I've had one, so it was time to jump back in.

Still got a key for it laying around, by any chance? Anything associated with the bike like an owner's manual or parts? I'll pay for shipping!

If I had known more about the bike I probably would have passed. Wasn't very impressed with either the description of it or the shop, but as I 've said, I don't mind a project. I have some friends that work at bike shops that are willing to help me out, but parts are what are going to kill me on it. Engine work I'm not too put off by either :)

Alright all, bring on the laughs :cool:

·
Registered
907 Posts
what all does it need? I ahve some spares...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't seem to need too much, to be honest. Of course, maybe I'll get it all together and then the engine will implode :)

-foot rest brackets are all broken (pegs broke the loops) except for the one with the exhaust mount.
-Someone from their shop swiped the three relays from it
-Shifter lever
-Front fender
-Forks slightly bent, but my friends at the motorcycle shop are looking into that for me
-Headlights
-Headlight bucket and trim for one
-Ignition key
-Turn signal head

I've already ordered a new Alt Cover casing with gasket, so that should be here by either tomorrow or early next week.

It didn't seem that bad, it's just the little stuff is expensive on these bikes. The biggest thing was if it started or not and if it hadn't, I would have backed out immediately since their description stated that it did.

Thank goodness for frame sliders. I'll be asking questions as to what type of oil/brand these bikes use as well as the type of coolant.

Thus far, I've removed broken bolts and gotten new ones. Pulled the Alt casing with the thought of getting it welded, but felt it safer to just get a new one. Oh.....and I already pulled off the snorkels and cleaned and waxed them :)

Thank you all again!

·
Registered
163 Posts
doc_rage,

They didn't even have the key!!!! we gave it to them....

but hey , we have the second one...where do you want me to send it??

And the Owners manual is under the seat!!! Unless someone took it out thats where we had it!

Other then that we don't really have any other parts, we bought ourselves another speed Four same year, same color!

Well, good luck with the fix up , hope you get her going. A header with a car, sure took it's toll...

If theres anything else we can do for you...don't hesitate to ask...and keep us informed , I 'd like to see the ol' girl up and running again!!

The tires are brand new!! We just put them on right before the accident.

I sure hope they put oil in the engine before they started her, cause it certainly all leaked out of that hole in the casing!!!

The ignition was split apart from the impact, don't know if that will even work.

I can tell you the bike was very well maintained, had all the services and regular oil changes.

[ This message was edited by: SDFOUR on 2006-12-08 22:05 ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SDFour, you are awesome!

Thank you so much for the back info on the bike as well.

It is in good hands, I assure you of that. I will even post up pics when it is up and running/cosmetically fixed. It will be well taken care of. I've had experience working on bikes and automobiles (I've been working on/with cars and bikes since I was 11 and my father used to own an automobile shop) and this is to be my new pride and first venture into fuel injected motorcycles.

The world is enormous and small at once :)

The manual was missing, as was one of the turn signal heads and relays. The first mechanic (I was not a fan of him) indicated that people "steal parts off these things all the time". Hence, the absence of relays and what-not. I don't know if they filled it with oil, but it certainly leaked out quite a bit after they shut it off from running.

When my friend and I got home and saw the post on here about it, he told me not to feel disheartened. My response to him was this:

"Charlie, look out that window. What do you see? I see a black tank with 'Triumph' on it. I'm content"

I will PM you my address. Please let me know of the shipping costs!

Edit- I can't seem to send PM's directly to moderators or to members, so I take the less paranoid road and post my info here:

SDFour:

Pardeep
5908 Kingsford Place
Bethesda, MD 20817

Thank you so much again for the offer! Please let me know of any costs incurred for sending the key!

Also, and I know it sounds corny at times, but did you have a name for the bike? I have a habit of naming my projects/vehicles and would just as soon continue on with the name given to the bike previously. If not, then I'm just weird and I'm okay with that :)

[ This message was edited by: doc_rage on 2006-12-08 22:46 ]

·
Registered
163 Posts
On 2006-12-08 22:31, doc_rage wrote:
SDFour, you are awesome!

Thank you so much for the back info on the bike as well.

It is in good hands, I assure you of that. I will even post up pics when it is up and running/cosmetically fixed. It will be well taken care of. I've had experience working on bikes and automobiles (I've been working on/with cars and bikes since I was 11 and my father used to own an automobile shop) and this is to be my new pride and first venture into fuel injected motorcycles.
That is so cool, I am glad that you have the poor baby.

"Charlie, look out that window. What do you see? I see a black tank with 'Triumph' on it. I'm content"
Oh yeah... something about a Triumph makes it all worthwhile, we have 2 in the garage.

Thank you so much again for the offer! Please let me know of any costs incurred for sending the key!
You're very welcome, don't even worry about costs, it's the least I could do...I just wish the manual was still there for you...we have one for the new bike same year....I assume that is copyrighted and I couldn't have it copied for you??

Also, and I know it sounds corny at times, but did you have a name for the bike? I have a habit of naming my projects/vehicles and would just as soon continue on with the name given to the bike previously. If not, then I'm just weird and I'm okay with that :)
funny, most people do name their bikes, we have 5 bikes and none have ever had names....so give her a good name she'd be most worthy of!!!

I certainly hope the fix-up goes well, if she's up and running by next summer, we'd like to ride down and see her!! that'd be great....

When the insurance company picked her up at the shop, they drug her out like a dead hosre, no sympathy at all...almost made me cry!! I'm glad she's in your hands, sounds like she'll be happy there, I hope you can get her fixed!!

I'll put the key in the mail today!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yay! Now I'll be able to close the gas tank lid! :)

I have the bike stored indoors at a friend's shed (He has four other bikes and bought the shed to store them and offered me a parking spot as well). Will wait on the key and get to work on it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
On 2006-12-11 17:58, B02S4 wrote:
I PM'd you about the fender.
uhh, not sure if doc_rage knows how to get his pm's....cause in an earlier post he stated that he could not seem to send pm's to other members ???

I pm'd him and didn't get a response...

·
Super Moderator
8,772 Posts
PMs don't work until you have a minimum post count. I think it is ten posts, but it might be five. The reason is to keep spammers from registering and then carpet bombing the place with PMs. It is a pain for legitimate guys like him, but if he sticks around, it won't be a problem for long.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On 2006-12-12 09:49, Will wrote:
PMs don't work until you have a minimum post count. I think it is ten posts, but it might be five. The reason is to keep spammers from registering and then carpet bombing the place with PMs. It is a pain for legitimate guys like him, but if he sticks around, it won't be a problem for long.
ohhhhhh, didn't know that...thanks , Will

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay, it's been very busy for me lately and I haven't had a chance to check on the site as much as I'd like :)

I did indeed get the key and thank you so much!

I'm still waiting on the alternator cover, but am eager to get it going.

That's great about the service records! I would be interested to know any sort of valve adjustment work, etc, but if it's mainly oil changes then that's alright.

Thanks again! I will be taking pictures of the engine casing before and the new one as well and posting them up as soon as I can!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B02S4-

I am absolutely interested in the fender! I think I have to have 10 posts before I can go the PM route, but please let me know about payment arrangements! I can send a check to an address or if you have Paypal, we can go that route as well!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
On 2006-12-13 15:49, doc_rage wrote:
B02S4-

I am absolutely interested in the fender! I think I have to have 10 posts before I can go the PM route, but please let me know about payment arrangements! I can send a check to an address or if you have Paypal, we can go that route as well!

Thanks again!
If you want to pursue the fender then please post your email adress or return PM me when you qualify to do so.
Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts