Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of wear I want to replace my steering head ball bearings with a conversion roller type. Any advice on where to get best quality one and also any tips on the process. Also what type of thread type are used in the bolts that hold the spindle cap to the fork, unified, whitworth etc. I have a 1968 Bonneville. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
here's one of those conversions that i feel is somewhat over rated. but granted - it's easier to contend with a bearing assembly than individual rollers - the original setup up - although primitive - works fine IF you put in the correct amount of balls ! that said - as it related to quality ...the conversion for the most part is hard to get wrong ...the parts are a timken roller bearing and race - even the offshore copies seem to be of reasonable quality - quite likely that you'll pay more for different packing - at the end of the day , the bearing was likely made in china anyway. i wouldnt bust the bank on this conversion going for a 'name brand' - get what you can , check the dimenstions (i.d - o.d and thickness of bearing, races etc) install it correctly - you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just a thought, I work in an auto parts store, and they can match up the races and bearing set with the Timken bearings we sell and at a much more of a savings.
Bill

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Marc told you right. There's nothing wrong with the service you'll get from the standard balls. The rollers are not really an improvement unless you intend to motocross your 1968 or something like that.

IMHO, if you want to spend some money, and you haven't added an oil filter, then you're looking at the wrong enhancement.

;)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
About the only improvement would be a longer expected service life.;)
With that said. When I opened mine up. I had 20 balls in the top and
exactly 1 left in the bottom. Utter head scratcher as to where
the other 19 went, and how the heck they managed get there.:confused:

And yes, I've gone to roller bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Shrugger, I don't suppose you still have the bearing numbers? I am going to do the same conversion soon and if I have the bearing number can order the bearings through work.

Hope you can help
Andy

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Marc told you right. There's nothing wrong with the service you'll get from the standard balls. The rollers are not really an improvement unless you intend to motocross your 1968 or something like that.

IMHO, if you want to spend some money, and you haven't added an oil filter, then you're looking at the wrong enhancement.

;)
Hey RF, good to see you again. You've been quiet lately. hope you're well. RR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts