Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to Triumphs and I'm thinking about buying a 2003 Daytona 955i that was wrecked, but rebuilt. It was rebuilt naked and looks like a Speed Triple, only it's still got clip ons and I'd like to put a bar on it instead. This question may have been answered before...this is my 1st time on this board, so i apologize if it has been answered already. Will the upper triple clamp from a speed triple mount onto the Daytona fork so I can mount a handlebar?

I'm finding it difficult to locate parts, info, etc for triumphs. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to check out the bike tonight and take it for a test ride. I currently ride an sv650 (my 1st bike) and this one will probably be worlds different.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,810 Posts
Hi Chaotic, welcome to the forum!

The best parts source I've found is one of our sponsors, BikeBandit. You get 10% off for being a TriumphRAT member.

Careful perusal of their on line parts fiches might tell you if the triple clamps can swap. If the forks have the same part number, I'd think that would be a pretty good indication.

BTW, how long have you been riding that SV? I hope it's at least a year, or several thousand miles. There's a lot of difference between a 650 twin and a 955 triple. Have you taken the MSF course?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chaotic, welcome to the forum!

The best parts source I've found is one of our sponsors, BikeBandit. You get 10% off for being a TriumphRAT member.

Careful perusal of their on line parts fiches might tell you if the triple clamps can swap. If the forks have the same part number, I'd think that would be a pretty good indication.

BTW, how long have you been riding that SV? I hope it's at least a year, or several thousand miles. There's a lot of difference between a 650 twin and a 955 triple. Have you taken the MSF course?
Thanks for the info. I've had the SV for 11 months and have put about 5k on it so far. I've done about 1200 since the beginning of march. I did take the msf course last year before I ever sat on a motorcycle. I've also had my first big get-off back in September because I made a newbie error, but i've improved a ton since then.

I rode the beast last night. I definitely notice a lot of differences between them, between riding position, available power, and size. I recognize that I can get myself into trouble on it, but I'm not a hot head, I leave my ego at home when I ride, and I do well not to exceed my riding limits.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,810 Posts
Glad to hear it! Good luck with the conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Welcome! They are great bikes, but I warn, as HiDesert did, be careful with having the experience on an SV650 and going to a 955cc three cylinder. I say that not to presume you cannot handle the difference, but the weight, hp/torque, and size of the bike will surprise you at first. I went from a 1992 Yamaha Seca II 600cc (put 17k miles on it) to a 2000 Triumph TT600 600cc inline four, put 7k miles on it) to an '02 CE Daytona 955i (have put 12k miles on it) and now have another TT600. The jump from the Yamaha to the TT600 was huge, and the TT600 to 955i was not as large, but very evident. It sounds like you keep your head when riding, and that you at least have the MSF knowledge, so good luck and take it slow as you get used to it.

Best place to find parts is eBay (usa and UK), bikebandit.com, or the TRAt.net classifieds.

I bought my '02 Daytona wrecked and restored it into a Speed Triple clone. Check out my signature thread for more info on that. Yes, a 2002-2004 Speed Triple upper triple clamp will fit on a 2002-2006 Daytona 955i. Aside from the obvious need for handlebar and risers, you will need to get a 02-04 S3 clutch cable which is longer, and the half-clamps for the clutch and brake perches, and the master cylinder reservoir bracket if you use a stock bar. Daytona clamps have no threaded bosses for the mirrors, while the S3 clamps do. Here's a money/time saver: I found that a 2007 Suzuki SV650 master cylinder mounting/mirror clamp is a direct fit to the Daytona/S3 perches (along with all other Triumph models). Triumph wants $23 for the part while Suzuki wants $13. Also, the SV650 clamp is probably easier to find used. The part number is: 59671-32F00. You can use pre 2002 S3 mirrors or Post 2002 S3 mirrors (different designs, but same thread.) I have 2000 S3 mirrors on my TT600 converted to a Speed Four, and 2006 S3 mirrors on the Daytona 955i. There is a member selling a set of S3 mirrors in the classifieds I believe. A lot of info, but I hope it helps.

So are you going to buy the motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...Yes, a 2002-2004 Speed Triple upper triple clamp will fit on a 2002-2006 Daytona 955i. ...
Be careful - the top clamp (stem nut feature) changed in 2004 I believe.
Even a 97-01 S3 top clamp will work.
So I think any from 97 -03 should be good for your bike.

They are pretty rare on EBay though - but keep your eyes peeled!
Also some people put clip-ons on their S3's - you might be able to find a swap deal if you can find someone in that situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts