Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully combined Convertibars with the Triumph OEM heated grips? I found a post from about 2 years ago posing this same question but there were no responses...So I'll give it another shot!

If you have done this install, any info or tips or tricks you can share will be much appreciated. My bike is a 2008 ST 1050 ABS. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
OEM heated grips are basically a throttle tube on each side with a heating element glued on, and the grip over top. The voltage varies with setting, nominally 10V for low and 12V for high. If you need more length it would be easy to splice in more wire. One "issue" I see with aftermarket bars is the locating 'nub' inside the plastic housings. You can either grind away the plastic 'nub' or try drilling a small hole in the right location. The other "issue" is drilling a hole for the mounting screw for the clutch side; the throttle tube on the clutch side is secured in place by a screw under the inside edge of the grip. The stock bars are not hollow there and have a recess (not tapped) for accepting this screw. You would need to drill a hole and (re) use a self tapping screw.

There really is nothing special or complicated about the OEM heated grips, other than their idea to use throttle tubes on both sides to insulate the elements from the bars, thus requiring a throttle grip on both sides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.