Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

just joined this forum after recently buying a 2004 t100. I have to say that after many years of Jap bikes I was very bored with their blandness..what a shock the triumph has been. It has real character and Im proud to own it.

The engineering is solid and most of its made of metal, whereas Japs utilise lots of plastic, which ultimately feels temporary and weak.

I notice that Triumph seem to be very popular in the USA. Are they accepted in apple pie land along side Harleys as machines with heritage, or are they treated like foreign rubbish?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
British bikes have always been treated with respect here. Most Harley riders not only put up with them, but usually find something nice to say about them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The heritage of riding a Triumph is one of not giving a crap what anyone else thinks of your ride.:D Esp opinions of "the culture".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I don't live in a big city, so the more recent cruiser culture of the larger cities has had little affect on most cruiser riders where I live. The Harley riders where I live and ride are quick to praise a Triumph and frequently ask questions about the newer ones, etc. Many say "I used to ride a Triumph back in the 60's" or "My first bike was a Triumph."

When one gets to the big cities there are what we call "posers" that have little knowledge of motorcycle history in this country and the poser crowd seems to me to mostly ignore bike riders that are different from them.

I was asked once, "What model Harley is that?" I responded that it is a Triumph. Their reply was "I didn't know Harley made a model called Triumph. I just rode off...my communication skills are not good enough to span that kind of gap, and at 66 years young I don't feel I have a need to educate--I would rather ride.:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've had more than my share of Harley owners tell me they used to ride Triumphs. On day while cruising Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu, 3 Harleys passed me to turn left, the last one looked over and said, "Nice Triumph". Can't get any better than that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't understand why one would care what others think............especially a Harley rider :confused:

If you like enjoy:cool:

·
30,406 Posts
Indeed - I have met many Harley riders while out and about, they have always had good comments to make. For the most part, they are just blokes on 2 wheels like the rest of us, riding their bike of choice.

The modern classic Triumphs always draw a bit of attention, because they are so cool.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Respect

I go to a private club here (under the radar) all HD's. Thewre are a few of us that ride Triumphs there. There is always a group hanging around them talking about the past!
All 2 wheelers are ok there, but there is always some Jap jokes going on! I bring my scoot there sometimes. Get some razzin, but when all find I use it to get to the Bonne it lightnens up. Actually some have them @ home to go to the store etc- but wouldnt say so
unless asked! Just put in my new batt & goin ridin before it gets cold tommorrow- to 65 deg!! Burrrrr!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts