Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, I've learned a lot about my bike in the short time I've owned it. Anyhow, so far I've got Norman Hyde Pea shooters on, nixed the airbox and replaced with K&N's, 42 pilots 140 main no shims, and over the winter I replaced my suspension with traxxion linear springs & emulators up front and Ohlins in the rear.

Suspension feels great, but now I feel my carb settings may be off. There seems to be a lack of when merging onto the highway or trying to pass a truck on the highway at 80mph. Does this mean my main jet needs to be larger, (145), should i get a new sprocket, or both.

Big Bore kit will be next winters project.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
When my 790 was jetted too small for the NARK and NH Togas, it ran about like stock, so my guess is you should try 145 main jets. I do recommend one put their bike on the dyno when you have it as close as you can get it by seat of the pants.

When you are running about 4500 to 5000 rpm in 5th gear and suddenly open the throttle, the bike should accelerate very hard. If it doesn't, go up on the main jet size--this is part of the old school method of setting the main jet size. I believe some 865's with similar mods to yours are running as big as 150 main jets; however, I believe most are nearer to the 145 area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet that's what I figured. Next to riding, I'm really loving actually learning a thing or two about turning a wrench.

I will be putting it on the Dyno, but I'm waiting till temperatures get a little warmer for a better run (I've led to believe temperature can affect results).

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Presuming reasonable tuning, all other things equal the bike will make max power with cool air, low altitude & high pressure. Ask the dyno operator to print the results "corrected" & "uncorrected". If Bill H. at Eurosports does the run he'll know what to do. The CVK carbs are the limiting factor, & the dyno A/F graph will be an eye opener for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts