Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An ongoing story, a work in progess, a Bonnie once disabled to rise renewed incarnated in RED.

After completing my 'project bike', I stepped back and thought something was amiss. I sought out the help of those watching on, and acted on some of the feedback generously offered to me.

That 1/4 fairing looked like it belonged on a 70's era Japanese bike, but without the fairing the headlamp looked rather.... diminutive. I replaced the 1/4 fairing with my Omar's Bikini fairing but it was too Black. So I returned my powder coated tank badges on the bike and put some Red pinstripe on the fairing. I also moved the tax disc to the headlamp where it looks much better:

To further tie in the Red & Black theme, I added some Black pinstripe to the fenders. However that seat cowl just seemed.... outaplace, unfinished, something..... I had luck with a little striped panel on the sides of the cowl; doesn't look half bad now!

Finally, the objections expressed of mixing chrome headers with flat Black cans prompted me to break out the "FattRats". These are straight through home-made pipes with 'Big City Thunder' baffles up front, and 'JC Whitney' 3" baffles at the back. They're....... kinda loud; and I need to find a mini heat shield to cover a section under the foot peg. I also removed the little/big box that mounts where the license plate goes. It's handy to hold keys, proof of insurance, extra seat bolts, etc.... but it added needlesly to the girth of my (bike's) back end. I dropped my mains from 122.5 to 118, and I think it's a bit better.... but it didn't start easily in the sub 36 degree morning. I'm hoping it was the really low idle; I cranked it up this morning, and am anxious to take the (reborn) phoenix out for a ride this evening.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Much better with the Omar's fairing (as opposed to the previous one). I think you've done a great job of tying in the black fairing with the red bike. Now paint the rear fender black and put on Clubman bars. :-D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gotta know what kinda bars the 'Clubman' are of what you speak.

I bought some "Clubman" bars from Flanders. They had a low rise, kinda wide, almost flat, but I'm under the impression that there must be different 'Clubman' bars out there. You want I should put lower cafe style, ACE, or possibly the M bars?

Hmmm.... a Black rear fender might flatter the look we've got going on. I'm thinking 'bout sanding down my indicator housings and painting them Black (I've got three sets of 'em). It may not have the same effect as a painted rear fender, but it would be heck of a lot easier and cheaper.....

Thanks guys.
:cool:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-01 16:04 ]

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Looking really good Pat, the black pinstriping as well as the red on the omar's is a great look. Looking thru photo's on my machine I found a thrux with a cowl in place. It appear's your cowl is much taller by comparison, I'm betting if you measure the flat section where it meet's the seat and shorten the height so that section is only about 1 1/2 inches tall it would look awesome.

This would also allow you to scallop the bottom to somewhat follow the angle of the fender.

The bike really look's good man...very nice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts