Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a regular over in the Sprint forum and own a beautiful 2001 ST. I ride it daily. The recent Mod vs. Rockers event got me to thinking about eventually getting a vintage bike to take out from time to time.

While a matched number beauty would be wonderful, I am thinking something along the lines or in the spirit of the built cafe bikes of old. I also dont need "perfect" in fact a bit of age showing would suit me just fine. As I am not blessed with large amounts of cash nor any true mechanical abilities I have fairly limited oportunities.

So any suggestions you all may have would be welcome. I will post my possible finds for your input here as well if you dont mind. :) and to start off here are two.

The first would need (imho) a bar change to cafe or flat-track style, perhaps a brushed alumimium rear cowl over the back of the seat. Maybe even a flyscreen and would be good to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250364877977&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

The second is NOT running and may be more than I could handle...but dang the price is pretty good (or so it seems)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150323492023&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Thanks for your time and please any and all thought are welcome.

M

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The NorCal crew was down in SD for MvR. Good times...

To answer your question, how much do you want to wrench? These bikes aren't that hard to work on, but each has its own weak points. And since they're all vintage, who knows what's been done (or not done) to them over the years.

My general advice is buy a running bike. Baskets, non-runners, and the "ran when parked" bikes may seem like a good deal up front, but often end up giant pits into which you throw a lot of money.

If you're not familiar with vintage Brits, find someone in your area who is and take them with you to look at bikes.

If you're in San Diego, then email Tim from Ton Up SD. He can steer you in the right direction. If you're in LA-ish area, contact Meatball with Hell on Wheels, Justin at Glory Sales, or Wes and Four Aces. They may even have bikes to sell. But all of them are cool, knowledgeable guys.

good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
McQueen,

Thanks for the insight and recommendations for contacts. I will explore tem a bit and see what turns up.

Jamo,

I love So Cal. and was born and raised here. I did live a couple years in Colorado in my teens, so I do have something to compare it to. The real benifits of So Cal. are the variety of close activities. From my home in Temecula I can within an hour drive be:

Riding my bike through hundreds of miles of twisty mountain roads

Surfing at the beach

Riding dirt bkes in the desert

4 Wheel driving in the Mountains

Skiing in the mountains

At a major amusement park

In San Diego, Orange County, or LA area with all they have to offer.

In wine country (well I live there, lol)

Add to that a yearly average temp of about 76F...its tough not to like being here.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
"The recent Mod vs. Rockers event got me to thinking about eventually getting a vintage bike to take out from time to time. "

gotcha....

I see vintage brit bikes for sale here on Craigs list often....I agree with McQ...get a runner and make it what you want.I bought a non runner and had to rebuild the whole thing ..a real chore but I got a real education as well.
good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
I don't WANT to sell this bike, but I kinda NEED to, to replenish funds burned up in vintage racing last year (not on this bike).

'79 Special, aftermarket muffler on original headers, drag bars, cheap re-spray paint job, Emgo quarter fairing, hand-wired electricals, new brake master cylinders & rebuilt calipers, other than that it's numbers matching and fairly original. It's got less than 10K miles, and runs great. Starts in 1 or 2 kicks, idles great, handles great, nice bike all around. I forgot whether I put new tires on this one when I refurbished it, I can check.

Anyway, e-mail me if you are interested, and I'll send you plenty of close-up photos. [email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I know that a 1979 bike is 30 years old and....vintage...its hard for me to think / admit that about a bike that was made the year I graduated High School :eek:

hehe

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is a far better selection on Craigslist.....Just go to
Jaxed.com go to mash link and than to motorcycles...There really is some good buys out there right now....Good luck in your hunt..

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts