Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm getting more into 50/50 riding than I thought I would when I bought a used 2015 tiger explorer 1200 last year.

I LOVE the bike, but I just test rode a 2018 800xc and I feel like it's everything I wanted the 1200 to be.

What other considerations should I think about going from a 1200 to an 800?

I do a decent about of road and highway miles so is the 800 going to be close to as solid touring experience like the 1200 is?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1200 Tiger XCA and was sitting on an 800 yesterday. According to the dealer, the 800 is very popular for those who actually want to use their adventure bike for....um adventuring. Don't want to attract ire but let's face it the 1200 XCA is not an off road bike. It's got dirt looking bits but it's the same bike as the street version. 800 felt taller, way more nimble and of course it has a larger front tire. However, I didn't drive the thing as I bought the 1200 and don't want to be tempted. The other thing the dealer mentioned is many folks including the ladies get the 800 and complain it's too tall. Some lower them, then complain they don't handle right.

I can't imagine the 800 would tour like the big beast but people tour on singles so that's up to the driver and what you are willing to tolerate. I will add that for all the fancy adjustments on the XCA I don't really feel a huge difference when going from "sport" to "comfort". Not sure of the value of all that fandangary.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Not a big surprise that anyone would find that add'l 100 pounds of heft isn't wanted nor needed when the road turns to dirt...

Now, if Triumph would put the 800 on a diet, they'd have a perfect RTW bike. Even if they reduced only 60-75 lbs, that would be a game changer.

Give KTM some competition...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2016 800 XCx and it has become my primary touring bike over my H-D bagger. I'm 225# and with (3) fully loaded cases, the 800 cruises on interstates 80 mph with ease. A big advantage with the 800 is chain drive. I can swap out the cs sprocket in a few minutes to change the gearing. On all road riding, adding a 17t cs makes the bike a beautiful long distance tourer. Swapping to a 15t cs will make it much stronger off road. Just some fyi..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the feedback. After riding the 800 xcx and the xrt I'm going with the xcx and picking it up on Friday! 2018 closeout discount and free panniers made it too sweet to pass on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'll love the bike. My only issue is the wind screen. off road it vibrates and slips to the lowest position. I'll just remove the springs and lock it where I want it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll love the bike. My only issue is the wind screen. off road it vibrates and slips to the lowest position. I'll just remove the springs and lock it where I want it.
I really am in love. 1000 miles in and it's amazing peice of machinery.

I'm definitely getting the madstad screen for it. I had one on my 1200 explorer and it was night and day in comfort

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just returned from a 1000+ mile jaunt up the coast to Northern Calif. The weather was cool/misty/foggy. Kinda chilly, actually. Now I’m closing in on 50,000 miles, with the same OEM windscreen. Gotta clean it now tho. Bike still smells like ripe strawberries. Rode thru a strawberry farm in Oxnard. Yeah, it’s like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts