Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 2011 America Classic I am thinking about having the dealer add two items, but wonder if anyone else has done this and if it would be worthwhile. One is a centerstand, primarily to let me easily lube the chain (I've looked at a wheel stands on line, and although some are pretty reasonably priced I am not sure how they work or if they would fit the America because of the location of the pipes. I also looked at getting a lift which is more expensive but I am concerned about having the bike fall off the lift or damaging something on the bottom of the bike if the lift is not placed exactly right.) The second addition I am thinking about is a tachometer. Due to wind noise at higher speeds I don't hear the engine very well and wonder if a tach would help prevent me from overreving the engine. I'm not sure where a tach could be installed since the speedometer is centered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Triumph do a tacho for 2010 America which fits in the tank, this isn't listed on the website as an accessory for the 2011 bike but there's no reason why it shouldn't fit. I've not seen a centrestand by Triumph but Norman Hyde over here in the uk does one I've seen good reports about, check out his website www.normanhyde.co.uk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Vito, I've added both of the items you've mentioned to my 08 America. The dash on the new Americas look just like the dash on my bike, so I think that the Triumph tach would work. If you call a dealer I'm sure they could tell you. I like having my tach and think you would find one useful.

I added a center stand also. It was a pretty straight forward job to bolt it on, with the only real struggle being hooking up the return spring. Using nickles to spread the spring helps (there's a thread that explains all that here on this forum). The only problem with the center stand is it doesn't give me as much leverage as I would like. I also added a center stand to my Honda Valkyrie, which weights a couple hundred pounds more, but the Triumph takes more effort to get up on the center stand than the Valkyrie. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and in pretty good physical shape and I sometimes have to strain to get the America on the center stand. If you're much smaller than me you might find it difficult. Otherwise I really like having the center stand. Lubing the chain and other minor chores are much easier with the bike on the center stand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
If you are in the US, then Rivco sell a centre stand.

You don't have to worry about over-revving, the maximum rpm is electronically limited.

As others have said the Triumph accessory tacho (which is stock on the Speed Master) should fit in the dash.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are in the US, then Rivco sell a centre stand.

You don't have to worry about over-revving, the maximum rpm is electronically limited.

As others have said the Triumph accessory tacho (which is stock on the Speed Master) should fit in the dash.
There is a discussion elsewhere comparing these two stands, and the consensus is that the Norman Hyde version is to be preferred.

Vito: I heartily concur with the idea that the centre stand would be quite useful. I'll have to put one on my wish list since I've tapped out my discretionary spending fund for now.

Enjoy this:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Be sure if you get the tach that the dealer orders the right one. I had a heck of a time with one.

2010 America with LCD Odometer. Mid year they put the LCD odo on the bike and did away with the mech odo. mech odo speedo has a white face and the LCD speedo has a black face. If they order a tach with a white face it WILL NOT WORK!! I don't care what they tell you, it will not work. Only the black face tach that matches the speedo will work and it is a very simple plug and play deal.

Probably not a question on the 2011 b/c it only has one version. But if your dealer isn't up on it they might just say "oh yeah, we got a tach right here for it" and not really look at the details.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another option for a Center Stand is to make a Bike Lift...for about $20.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

I made one of these 7-8 years ago and use it very frequently for my 2003 America. Depending on where you place it on the frame you can either lift the front wheel or the back wheel. I have a Craftsman Bike Lift, but use the home made one more often because it's easy.

In addition to the instructions on the website, I wrapped the board with an old floor mat (thin carpeted). That way the only thing that actually touched the bike was carpet.

By the way, I later lowered my bike and this stand worked even better.

Cheers,
Steven

·
Registered
42 Posts
Triumph do a tacho for 2010 America which fits in the tank, this isn't listed on the website as an accessory for the 2011 bike but there's no reason why it shouldn't fit. I've not seen a centrestand by Triumph but Norman Hyde over here in the uk does one I've seen good reports about, check out his website www.normanhyde.co.uk
I can confirm that the black-faced Speedmaster tacho fits the 2011 America as I have one fitted to mine.

I notice that the redline is at 8000rpm but the earlier white-faced one is at 7500rpm.Wonder why Triumph changed it?

Alan

·
Registered
524 Posts
Another option for a Center Stand is to make a Bike Lift...for about $20.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

I made one of these 7-8 years ago and use it very frequently for my 2003 America. Depending on where you place it on the frame you can either lift the front wheel or the back wheel. I have a Craftsman Bike Lift, but use the home made one more often because it's easy.

In addition to the instructions on the website, I wrapped the board with an old floor mat (thin carpeted). That way the only thing that actually touched the bike was carpet.

By the way, I later lowered my bike and this stand worked even better.

Cheers,
Steven
I had seen this option before, Steven, and wondered how users avoided scarring the undersides of their bikes using that board; wrapping it in the floor mat is a great idea.

alanrco: do you have the part # for the black faced tachometer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 03 SM with standard kick stand. A lift works great. I recommend getting one b/c all of the advantages it gives you. The bike is secure when I lift it and I never worry about it falling. My lift has a setting where you can lock in the height that you desire, which makes the bike much more stable. I can actually move my bike around the garage while its on the lift.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vito, I have the Tach on my 2011. Had it added for free when I purchased mine. Its a great help. As far as a center stand, I bought a lift and it works well. Bike rocks a bit but stays on and makes lubricating and cleaning allot easier. Just have to watch out for the side stand underneath, that you don't jack under it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had seen this option before, Steven, and wondered how users avoided scarring the undersides of their bikes using that board; wrapping it in the floor mat is a great idea.

alanrco: do you have the part # for the black faced tachometer?
BLACK FACED TACHO

Part Number: A9828006

·
Registered
524 Posts
Vito, I have the Tach on my 2011. Had it added for free when I purchased mine. Its a great help. As far as a center stand, I bought a lift and it works well. Bike rocks a bit but stays on and makes lubricating and cleaning allot easier. Just have to watch out for the side stand underneath, that you don't jack under it.
Otto, Kmcintee,

I had been thinking about a lift myself but not sure what to look for. Are those at Harbor Freight any good?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Luziana_Geezer

I had purchased the Larin Motorcycle/ATV Jack Model # ATVJ-3 from Cycle Gear. Same style as the one the one from Harbor freight, with the fat bars that go underneath. If you get that one, just watch the kick stand control box, that you don't jack under it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brought the America in for the 500 mile oil change and had a few things done. I changed out the stock horn for the Thunderbird horn, a major improvement. I added a power outlet which will undoubtedly be useful. But I also added the center stand, which now I am now sure I should have done. It was expensive, over $250 and I never really thought about how it would now be the lowest piece of metal on the body of the bike. On my way home in a modestly sharp turn I scraped bottom. If this center stand becomes too big an impediment to reasonably aggressive riding I may have to take it off. But for now I am glad to have it and lubing the chain should be easy. I decided to wait on the tach to keep the cost of today's visit to the dealer to a reasonable level, but may add it on the next trip.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's a shame about the center stand, Vito, I doubt that the one from Britain would have made any difference. Not only do they make chain maintenance easy, the stand means your bike is taking up less space in your garage when it's parked. My garage was taken over by riding mowers and not one but two MCs, in addition to my car, so there's no room for my wife's car, and certainly no room for that MC lift mentioned above. We are planning an addition to the back of the house that will include another garage just for lawn stuff and MCs; THEN I can get the lift. Sure would like that center stand, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just bought a 2011 America & had the dealership order a tach for me right away. I am having them install it when I take my bike in for the 500 mile check up next week.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where is the tach mounted? Does the speedo get moved over?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Where is the tach mounted? Does the speedo get moved over?
Vito, photoheadd: There is a recent thread here on making sure that the correct tach is ordered. IIRC the thread says that if the tach has a black dial and your speedo is white — or vice versa — then the tach won't work. The report even lists the proper part #.

Also, Vito, have you come to any decisions about your center stand?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts