Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering selling my '06 HD Night Rod and getting an '07 S3. The VRSCD is a great bike but just too much show and not enough agility for day to day use. The handling just doesn't match the awesome motor. I want someting I can ride to work everyday in any weather, and flog on the weekends. Something I can put away wet/dirty like my dirt bikes and wash when I get a chance. I don't want a plastic rapped Jap bike. The S3 seems like the ticket, but I have a few questions. I ride about 8 - 10K miles a year, how is the reliability? Service intervals? How many miles can you expect to get from the motor? Parts availability and cost? Finally, what can I expect to pay here in NJ.? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the Nut House.

You are making the right consideration with the S3 - I use it to commute a few days a week in LA and it is the perfect bike for that purpose - I have done 5,000 on the S3 this year. As for you questions:

- Service intervals = 6,000

- Estimated cost by MCN is $500 which is pretty close

- I've had no problems with the bike, check under common issues for other's experience.

- As for cost in NJ, I dunno.

- If you want to leave it dirty, tru to find a yellow one 'cause it doesn't matter with that color :-D

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I've done over 10k miles this year with no probs. Look after this engine and you will get well over 100k outa it. I think the triumph factory has engines with 250k on em without major work being done.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Man, that Night Rod's one sick bike. I was looking at one when I found my triple. I still might get one next year, that or a rocket 3, can't decide.
The S3 is a kick a$$ bike. It performs VERY well. The torque and power curve you'll love comming from an Night Rod and the handling will blow you away. They do have a few issues with brakes and other stuff but a great bike none the less.
The thing that will really blow your mind is how the bike is universaly respected and admired. I ride with the American Legion Riders and alot of the members are HA or supporters. I haven't been heckled or teased once. Most of the guys, almost all, have come up and complimented it or were very impressed. Quite a few times, when I first joined, I would come outside to find 6 or 8 of 'em standing around it pointing and talking. The rice rocket crowd loves 'em too. You'll really enjoy the S3. I suggest you take it for a nice test drive and see for yourself. It HARD to not act like a total a$$hole on that bike. It makes you wanna do bad things.....

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
git it dude, you won't regret it. If fer some reason ya find yerself not git'n it, you will be doing this :kck: over and over. :-D Btw, go fer green. :hammer: :-D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies!

With regard to service intervals, the dealer charges $500 for a 6K service? I assume this is mainly a valve clearance check/re-shim. I do all my own work, don't pay dealers. As long as parts are eaisly available all is good.

Yes, the Night Rod is a cool bike. Most, but not all of the die hard air cooled HD crowd like it but I didn't by it to "fit in" with the chrome collectors, don't care either way. Sport bike guys like it too. Universal appeal like the S3, just different, muscle cruiser vs. streetfighter. If you look at the dyno curves, very much like the S3, just 150lbs heavier!

What I mean by put it away dirty is that if I get caught in the rain on my bike, its a job cleaning it before the pollished billet and chrome take a beating. Too much cosmetic maintanence.

I had a close call that is part of my motivation to switch. A cop cut across traffic(real bad call on his part) on a small highway, car in front of me locks up and goes sideways. I had to make a rather abrupt evasive manuver that the HD was not designed to do. Barely made it. I have to beleive that a smaller streetfighter will handle these situations much better.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A 6k service is or should be around $200. The 12k is about $400-500 coz of the valve adjustment.

something like this will cure the chrome problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Listen take it from a guy who has had a hell of alot of bikes! You th cannot go wrong with the speedy! Also it will be hard for you not to be a jerk on it to. I find that it is the best overall bike I have ever owend.....With that said there is an issue with the breaks for some but not all! It is also a forgone conclusion that it is a tottaly dif ride than what you have now. Absolutely no comparison! Buy Ride And Enjoy and we will welcome you! Oh yea Make sure it is the proper color (BLACK)...sean...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont know Limey, I still see something big and blue in the middle of the bike there.... :-D :-D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I don't regret buying my '06 Speed III. I have riden BMs for years. Owned Suzuki's, BSAs & Honda's. Presently own a Honda Fireblade which scares the living daylights outta me!

I bought my Speed III for several reasons.

1. I did an enormous amount of research both on the web & demo rides of other naked bikes. Nothing came close to the power, handling, braking and awesome torque curve of the SIII -- the grunt it has is amazing. NOTHING I rode come near it. I test rode the Yamaha Fazer; Aprilia Tuono; Kwasaki Z1000; HD VRSCD Night Rod; Buell XB12X Ulysses. All that was left (at least in South Africa) was the Ducati Monster 690 which is underpowered. The Suzuki Bandit 1200 -- which is now longf in the tooth, and finally, the Suzuki SV1000 -- which is a poor man's sport bike, not a naked in the traditional sense.

2. Its British. My Father just died in the UK & I decided as he introduced me to biking & owned several British built bikes -- Triumph, Matchless & AJS, I'd carry on the tradition in his memory. Everytime I get on the bike I have fond thoughts about him. I miss him greatly... I did not make the decision blind though, as I have described above.

3. I purchased an ICON and a Moviestar!! Whereever I go it stirs up comment from young & old. Everyone loves its chopped & mean looks!! My wife also loves to ride pillion on it, having no problem with the high piilion pegs...

Here's a pic of my beauty:

I wish you well in your choice!

Gary (Teo)

·
Registered
700 Posts
You currently ride a HD, and you're questioning Triumphs quality?????? Man alive, where have you been!?!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Since you like Harleys, how about a Buell Lightning? It's not as powerful and smooth as a Speed Triple, but they handle great. Can't say what their reliability is like, but barring problems of that nature, maintenance should be minimal - belt drive and hydraulic valves do have their advantages.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my Triumph. Just playing devil's advocate here. :wink:

[ This message was edited by: scratch on 2006-12-13 13:19 ]

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Euro,

Before you start with the negative *****, lets get a couple things straight:

First of all, I'm not questioning anyones opinion on reliability, or insinuating there is a problem, just doing research. This is my first post here and I'm simply looking for info. I'm an engineer who races, tunes, and rebuilds my own off road bikes, so I know a bit about performance/reliability compromises. Just want to see where we stand here.

Second, the VRSC series is nothing like the other HDs. The motor is mostly a Porsche design, mfg. in Kansas City but with Porsche personell on the supervisory staff. Also, many parts like the crank come from Germany. I would be happy if the S3 were as reliable as the VRSCD(so far).

scratch,

Actually, I don't like HDs in general, I do like the Night Rod. I would have bought the Night Rod last year no matter who made it. I never bought into the HD "family", and "lifestyle" marketing hype. I ride in full sportbike gear, not in a T shirt with a salad bowl on my head. I wanted a power cruiser and got what I liked best.

Limey,

My compliments, that is a very awesome looking bike.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think Euro really meant anything by that comment...

The guys around here give each other a lot of flak all the time... :-D

I've always owned the "more reliable" Jap crotch rockets, and I HATE it when I drop money on something that is constantly falling apart.

A lot of reading on this forum and lots of magazine & web bike shootouts later, I was set on the S3. Never even took a test ride.

I'm only 3,500 miles in so far, but I absolutely love it and have had no issues. I babied it through the break in to the T, and it rarely sees more than 8,000 RPMs. But I know others treat their bike like a $2.00 hooker and it's still ticking, so.......

JOHN

·
Registered
178 Posts
On 2006-12-13 15:16, graciejohn2 wrote:
I don't think Euro really meant anything by that comment...

$2.00 hooker and it's still ticking, so.......

JOHN
Dont think Euro meant anything by it either...

As for a $2.00 hooker, You need to listen to the wise words of CB he pointed out some hookers for 51 cents!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just my two cents worth.

06 s3 7000 miles. Brakes good. Reliabillity good. Yes the engine is noisey and it does take a few seconds to crank before she catches.

Problems :- Tank vacum since last service and unwanted LEO attention.

IMO this bike is worth buying for the engine alone. You won't get a better bike for your beer tokens. I think the Night rod is a very tasty bike ! Some ppl have mentioned the Buel, in essence looks good but when you look close at the fisher price clocks and electrics :hammer: and shyte reliabillity you cannot compare it to an S3.

Good luck on the S3 just make sure its white !

·
Registered
157 Posts
LOL, he is right on the money about the Rod....By the way most true Harley guys piss all over the Rod...Liquid cooling....*** is that...LOL...that is why so many Harley whores are cooking their balls on the new Fatboys, how comical.

I traded from my Yammy (which was a great bike) for the S3 and I do not regret my decision.

Points to consider, since you do your own work, I believe that HD requires a first break in interval to be performed by an HD shop. I have heard it can be free of charge if you negotiate it when you purchase the bike.

Also the Rod is substantially more expensive. You can pick up an 06 S3 for a rockin price...but you may not find the Black (faster) ones. You may have to settle on a yellow one...LOL :hammer:

Euro is a cool guy, just dry sense of humor.

Also Limey that bike is pure titties
:-D

[ This message was edited by: TheGuvnor on 2006-12-13 22:23 ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts