Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new bike. I currently have an 08 Yamaha R6 S. I'm looking into the Ducati Hypermotard or the Street triple. One of than main reasons I want a new bike is because the Yamaha is so uncomfortable. I like how the triple and motard have a more upright position. How do you street triple guys like your bikes? Is it comfortable on long rides?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The street triple is a fine bike. The upright riding position is comfortable. Get the R version for the adjustable suspension. I ride a 2010 R and the saddle limits my rides to 2 or 3 hours. An aftermarket saddle is probably necessary for any serious distances. Any bike this light, you're going to get jolted around by uneven roads. If long range comfort is your main criterion, maybe you ought to consider more of a cruiser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hope they still have plenty of 2011 models available. I would get a gel seat for long distance rides. That's all need for comfort

·
Registered
906 Posts
The seat on the Street triple isn't too bad, depending on the age and toughness of your arse.

However, it's not what I would class as a "comfortable touring type seat" by any means. Which is fair enough, as the bike, whilst capable of long distance travel, is not what Triumph had in mind when they designed and produced it.

The stock seat is ok for 200 km's or thereabouts, which is usually when you need to start looking for a petrol station to fill up.

If you envisage much longer trips then a wise investment is the Air Hawk seat cover which simply attaches to your stock seat and makes all day long trips very comfortable. The Air Hawk is easily removed after your ride so you can assume the "Street Racer" look again... :)

S.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love my street triple, its certainly more comfortable than a R6, I sat on one and I felt so damn cramp on it. The street is more manageable while still not a touring bike. It still got the frame suspension of a Super Sport but with a more upright position.
Maybe the speed triple would be more for you as its a good bike apparently to ride on longer distance. But I`ve never rode one so I can`t really tell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your long rides are on good smooth roads no problems. If there on rough roads think twice, the street triple was no really designed for long journeys on bumpy roads whether it be the r version or the standard version.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I love to take long rides on my STR. I tested a Hypermotard 796 recently and really found it to be an awkward seating position. The hand grips were at my hips and it just felt weird. The STR has a proper roadster riding position.

Btw - I also tested the Dorsoduro on the same day, and it's the better bike over the Hypermotard, IMHO, though neither is like the Street Triples!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test rode the hyper. I liked it. A little under powered from what Iam used to. Never rode the aprilia, but I hear it has a very high seat height.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love my street triple, its certainly more comfortable than a R6, I sat on one and I felt so damn cramp on it. The street is more manageable while still not a touring bike. It still got the frame suspension of a Super Sport but with a more upright position.
Maybe the speed triple would be more for you as its a good bike apparently to ride on longer distance. But I`ve never rode one so I can`t really tell.
I've had the opportunity to ride my buddy's '11 Speed Triple and found it considerably less comfortable than my Street- more upper body lean over and the fuel tank is obtrusive. He agrees- I think he secretly wishes he bought a Street, but he was hung up on the bigger motor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had the opportunity to ride my buddy's '11 Speed Triple and found it considerably less comfortable than my Street- more upper body lean over and the fuel tank is obtrusive. He agrees- I think he secretly wishes he bought a Street, but he was hung up on the bigger motor.
Your probably right, from reading other people I tought that being a little heavier, more torque with a different chassis not based on the daytona with a different suspension might have made it a little more comfortable for longer tripls. Still I never rode one, wondering is they have some demo rides here in the Ottawa area, would love to try one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure about that? If so, that would be great. Why didn't the idiot salesman tell me that. I had expressed that I didn't like the new headlights

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just brought my 2011 Street Triple home 3 weeks ago... Love it love it love it!! I specifically wanted a more upright stance because of all the neck injuries I've had. I happily recommend it! I haven't found the seat uncomfortable but then, I am naturally well padded...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yes, get the Streety with the classic bug eyes- you will not regret it :)

We are different than the rest of the crowd and I like it that way :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw the new headlights in person just this past weekend. I definitely DO like the new headlights, but I also like the round headlights as well. They each have their own look, not sure if I really like one over the other..

I think the round headlights look better in photo's than the newer ones..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts