Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and will be buying a sport tourer in the near future since my aging body is balking at the prospect of long rides on anything with boy racer ergonomics. I've been shopping the Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha FJR 1300, Honda ST 1300 and the Suzuki Bandit. I've been riding about 20 years and have owned mostly Gixxers, but have also owned the odd Honda and Yamaha. I've taken test rides on the Sprint and the FJR. The Sprint is much easier to turn in than the FJR, but both of them will not fit a helmet in their side cases, whereas on the Honda, it fits. My wife likes the pillion on the Honda ST 1300 better than any of the others. The Sprint has her leaning more than she cares to, my wife is petite and the Yamaha makes her spread her legs (not a bad thing) too much. The torque on the Sprint seems more to my liking. The power delivery of the FJR is just plain brutal and will take a little time to get used to. Sound is a big plus for the Sprint. Ergonomics go to the Honda.
Could any of you guys give me a brutally honest assessment of the Sprint ST. I know it doesn't have space under the seat. I've heard that the 2006 and earlier models had a problem with roasting the rump of the passengers...since fixed with the latest models. How do you guys normally secure an XL full face helmet (my latest is a Scorpion EXO-1000). Don't just tell me all of the good stuff, I can read that in a press release. Tell me the dirt also. I have a platinum rated dealer in the New Orleans area so that shouldn't be a problem.
Hopefully perhaps one or more of you can steer me in the right direction.
Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Daddy:)

Welcome to the forum.

I've owned an 05 ST for the last twelve months and in the very hot weather there's still some heat radiated from the link pipe behind your right leg.

Like you I've come from a Gixxer (750) and initially thought the Sprint was slow, but, it's just deceptive, because there's not that surge of torque at high revs you don't always realise just how quick you're going.

The gearbox has a fairly positive action rather than being Suzuki smooth but what is?

Really I'm just nit picking what is an excellent all round bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Have been thinking about getting a Sprint for a couple years now. I currently have a ZRX 1200. I was under the impressioin that you could fit a helmet in the bags of an FJR. Also, if you decide the Sprint is not the way you chose to proceed, I personally would add the C14 to your list and take the Honda ST off your list. oclvsprintst

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oclv,
I have an XL lid and the Scorpion tends to be a little larger than other lids. I tried it on the showroom floor and I turned my helmet upside down and sideways to no avail. Same thing with the trumpet.
Sorry, but I've always had a prejudice against Kawasakis ever since I got a loaner GPZ 750 while my GSX-R 750 was being repaired. I rode that heavy, non-braking, non-handling piece of garbage for 2 weeks and I have never forgiven Kawasaki for their sins. I'm sure a lot has changed since the late 80's and the Kawasaki Ninja 650R was on the short list for my son's first bike. He eventually bought a 2006 Suzuki Katana 600.
Prejudices aside, the Kawasaki probably has a little too much motor for my taste. If you've ever ridden a 600 or 750 sport bike and then hopped on your buddy's 1000 you know what I mean. On the smaller bike, you can grab a big handful of throttle and you never get that holy @#$% feeling till you get past 8,000 RPM or so. When you hop on the 1000 or a 1300, you can get into trouble in any gear at just about any spot in the rev band. I'd rather have a slightly slower machine that I can control rather than a beast that I can't tame.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome mat

Hi and welcome to the forum daddyroaddog:)

To answer your question you would be best to use the search function as there are many threads comparing a Sprint to a K1200S or an FJR or what ever. The Sprint is much lighter and more nimble and faster in tight stuff than those heavier tourer bikes, the Sprint is more sport.

My last ride of several years was a beloved GSX R600.

On the newbie thing please take time and read our forum stickies as we ask all noobs here to do so.

enjoy the forum:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've had both generations of Sprints and found them to be good all-arounders. However...

I don't ride 2 up so can't really address that issue. For a somewhat lethargic rider such as I the stock suspension package is adequate. For aggressive 1 up or regular 2 up use I'd guess you would want a better rear shock/spring package as well as different front springs.

I've never like the stock Triumph seats and have always opted for aftermarket. The stockers are too soft and have too much forward pitch for my tastes.

I've not ridden the C-14 or FJR so can't compare.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I haven't ridden an FJR or the other sport-tourers but I do like the Sprint. However, I ride solo so passenger comfort isn't an issue.

If you can only keep one bike, I think you're going to have to juggle between how much long-distance riding, how often the wife rides with you and whether she will get used to the Sprint, etc, etc.

I think they're probably all good bikes generally. As much as I like my Sprint, I wonder if I were to do a fair amount of touring with a pillion if I'd want something a little bigger with better overall seating. But there are plenty of guys here who tour all the time with a passenger on the Sprint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts