Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been considering buying a Rocket III tourer but I notice they do not come with electronic cruise control--very strange in my mind considering Triumph touts them as "tourers." Is electronic cruise control available from the manufacturer or is there an aftermarket setup that will work on it?

If I buy a Rocket III tourer, it will be new. So, what are some of the major and minor issues with the Rockets? What kind of reliability am I to expect. And, how much heat does that huge engine generate in summertime?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been considering buying a Rocket III tourer but I notice they do not come with electronic cruise control--very strange in my mind considering Triumph touts them as "tourers." Is electronic cruise control available from the manufacturer or is there an aftermarket setup that will work on it?

If I buy a Rocket III tourer, it will be new. So, what are some of the major and minor issues with the Rockets? What kind of reliability am I to expect. And, how much heat does that huge engine generate in summertime?
"Cruise control" at present isn't available from Triumph. I have seen online somewhere where someone was able to adapt a generic cruise control to work on his Rocket? I can't remember where I saw it?
I have a Throttlemeister (throttle lock) on mine. Works well enough. If its real hilly where you live it might not be what you want.

I have an '08 Touring and have experienced the following:

Clutch rod broke (incorrect setup at dealer) covered by warranty.
Tires were recalled. Free replacement.

Thats it.

Its hot in the summertime when the cooling fan kicks on at a stoplight for sure. Not much worse than anything else I've owned over the years.

·
Registered
690 Posts
When you say "tourer" are you talking about the decked out "classic" which Triumph called the "tourer" or are you talking about the "Touring".
Single headlight or double?
Alot of differences in the two besides the headlight configuration.
If the only thing stopping your buying a rocket is the lack of available OEM cruise control, then you need a gold wing instead.
If on the other hand that is just one small question and concern then there's lots of available after market gizmos that'll relieve the pressure.
So,,, Do you want to "go your own way" or follow the herd.
IF you want a reliable bike that promises to be a classic in not only styling but performance, get the Rocket,
If you want a decades old technology and poser or 1%er lifestyle,
go for the hardly, (there's a screw on their throttle you can tighten for a cruise control).
Your choice, your decision, your life,
Would I after 35 years of riding exclusivly H-D buy another Rocket,
in a heartbeat.
I wish I could afford another one right now as I've seen several great bikes sell for far below what they're worth.
Would I EVER buy another Harley?
Not at half the price..
just my 2 cents, hope you become one of us...

·
Registered
26 Posts
One B I G difference....

about 40 horsepower got lost when they built the Touring... rode them both, the Original in '05 took my breath away...:eek: the Touring made me yawn.... :eek: couldn't spin the tire in the rain:cool:. JFWIW

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can spin the tire on my Touring just fine. Rain or not. As for cruise control, I don't believe in it. I don't even use it in my cage. It's a control thing for me.

I just turned 10000 miles in 5 months of owning this fine bike. No reliability issues. One recall for crap tires. The heat is there, especially in the hot Florida swamp climate. Not any worse than other bikes I've had.

Things I would change would be the stock seat, stock windscreen, and longer (pullback) bars. I replaced all of these and my Touring fits me. Well, the factory 'long haul' seat needs improvement but other than that, it's a great ride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am talking about the touring model with the hard bags. Throttle locks are no match for electronic cruise control, especially when you ride long distances--I know, I have used both. Riding cross-country without electronic cruise control is very fatiguing. If I wanted a Goldwing, I wouldn't be considering a Rocket III--they are two entirely different motorcycles. I don't care if the touring model has been detuned or has less power than the original Rocket III. With 2300cc, there's plenty enough power and torque for me.

Thanks to all of you for the input.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Having owned both (the Gold Wing and the Rocket III Classic) I like them both for obviously different reasons. The Gold Wing is fast up to a point (Rocket will obviously leave it behind...118 HP versus 140/Classic) however as mentioned the R3T has been detuned to a claimed 106 HP but has increased the torque from 147 to 154 ft/lbs. Both are commendable bikes for long trips, but the Gold Wing is more comfortable in the long run (though lots of people get different seats for it as everybody is not the same build/weight) and has the factory cruise control which is very good, where it outpaces the R3T is that it has a trunk whereas the R3T does not.

There are several cruise controls out (Audiovox has one I believe) and I use a throttle lock system as I only need temporary relief to rest the hand a little on a trip and then I go back to manual. I used the cruise control on the Gold Wing the same way, didn't really keep it on cruise for a real long distance as usually you would run up on a car or a truck in your lane, or worse, both lanes that would be driving the speed limit (what a drag that is with either one of these bikes) and you'd have to shift it to manual anyway.

The R3T does have skinnier tires than mine (the Classic) and that was supposedly to keep the profile "slim" to accept the hard bags. Personally, I wish they'd left the bike the same and added the hard saddle bags to the Classic and not worry so much about the width of the bike...it wouldn't have been that much wider.

If you drive agressively your tires will not last long on any of the Rocket models or the Gold Wing either (it has a claimed 125 ft/lbs of torque). But both are fun to ride and the Gold Wing is not the "old mans" bike it is often perceived as. They can wheelie (if you have the nerve to try it) and again have pretty phenomenol acceleration in their own right.

Good luck with your choice, I plan on getting an R3T when I am finished working over here in Afghanistan though if the new Gold Wing for 2011 has a complete model change I may give it a look as well.

Dennis

27 dtg Dubai
28 dtg Home

·
Registered
690 Posts
Dennis, thanks for the use of your tank and gauges while you're away.
I think you might need a new tire when you get home, I believe SIE has about wore the last one out. You might just need to order one and have it sent to me for safe keeping.
I'd suggest a Riken Raptor 225x55 v rated..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not the tires, I thought I'd at least be able to wheel it out of the dealership and onto a trailer.

I'm so depressed.

Dennis

22 dtg Dubai
23 dtg Home

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my R3T at the turn of the year. I've gotten a custom seat, 7"taller windscreen from Triumph, have the solo saddle with adjustable backrest and I've added a BrakeWay Throttle lock. I get terrible gas mileage in town, around 27 mpg, and 40 mpg on open highway for a range of 200 miles. In city stop & go traffic the radiator fan comes on way too often & the resulting heat will fry your legs. I've purchased a huge Shad hard trunk but have'nt mounted it yet. I traded a 2005 BMW R1200RT & wish at times I hadn't. I now am closing in on 5,000 miles on the R3T.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Basically, you have Road King with a lot more power. That's why I bought the R3. That motor fries everyone's legs. If you're into serious and comfortable touring, why not a Goldwing or K1200 LT?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put 68,000 miles on a 2001 K1200LTC in 4 years and then 57,000 miles in 3 years on a 2005 R1200RT. The bikes are great but I flat hate BMW dealerships. They rape you on maintenance, are hard to get into see and have 6,000 mile routine maintenance. They also burn premium gas at $.20 a gallon more for every gallon I burn. The Triumph scheduled maintenance is 10,000 mile intervals at half the cost, I can get in within a week for service and the bike uses only regular gas. I'm retiring in 6 months so cost is my biggest factor with the decision to go with Triumph. I finally have the right modiications added on to make it compareable to a BMW K1200LT or R1200RT. The BMWs have twice the range and 50 mpg gas mileage, true cruise control stock, electrically controlled windscreen & full fairings to protect your body. They also cost the same or less when you factor in the goodies are stock on the BMWs. If it wasn't the lowsy dealerships I'd still be riding one. I still enjoy the R3T but it's no BMW.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My Rocket doesn't fry my legs any worse than other cruisers I've had. I ride in the hot, swampy Florida climate. Now this place is hot.
As for mileage, I consistently range in the low to mid 30's with a mix of traffic / open road. I can go 150 miles on a tank. Again, no more than I'm used to. Full touring bikes are nice if used for their intended purpose. Not my style at this point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a fully electronic cruise control for the R3 from motorcycle cruise in Australia. Big bucks-$1009. I don't know if it fits the R3T. I use the breakaway throttle lock on my R3T. It works very well and was an easy install and fits my needs perfectly.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't own a rocket, but it's on my list of motos to own but i need the global economy to stabilize (reassure me that I'm long-term (relatively) still gainfully employed) but it strikes me that if you are a serious 10's of thousands of miles interstate tourer few bikes beat the "goldenwing". When I grow up and get modestly wealthy i hope to own a rocket (regular) and a goldwing..

Even with the Rocket III touring it still strikes me as not quite the swiss-army knife that a perhaps higher tier tourer like the Goldwing or BMW's are. Maybe it's a Maine to Kansas kinda bike rather than a Maine to San-Diego kinda bike if you get me? I dunno, never toured but if I were piling on significant miles, needed all the utilities and doo-dads I'd go for the Goldwing. It's legacy speaks for itself and if you are the sort that appreciates motorcycles generally, the Goldwing likely already has your respect (not saying its perfection or has been utterly without issue you understand).

As for the heat, I dunno, a 2300cc internal combustion engine burning and igniting fuel kinda gets hot IMO... how'd you figure you can get it cool? Go electric or cloak it in a purpose sculpted and insulated faring is all that can be done is all I can think of.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've just installed the Aussie Motorcycle Cruise control. Big bucks is right....about $1100 Aussie (probably about $800 US). Very discreet....Looks just like a bought one :). I was using the Brakeaway, which worked well, but....

Only had one short ride (about 100miles), but it's such a relief on the freeway not having to constantly check speed (there's a lot of accidents on the local freeway and highway patrols are everywhere. Is it worth a grand ??? it is to me.

With the modified stock seat, 24" screen, highway pegs and 10" mini apes it's about as comfortable as it's going to get for a tallish carbon unit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts