Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '72 TR-6 appears to have some kind of painted finish on it that looks pretty crappy after 37 years. What do I use to either, a) remove the finish or b) repaint/finish it ?

TIA

TD

·
Registered
348 Posts
a wire wheel on a die grinder(if you have) or wire brush. sand paper smooth if needed

spray paint never hurt anyone and if done right, and on littles parts it's hard to tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi there,

I believe that the conical brakes should be bare alloy (unpolished), although I know that some rear brake plates where painted black. Personally I would strip them back and give them a good polish. It takes a bit of work but the final result looks fantastic. There's a guy on this forum from Brisbane (Aus) who has posted a few photos of his hubs and they look bloody good.

Webby

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi Tiger,

I've had the front and rear plates polished . I also had the front and rear brake arms, springs, etc chromed. Looks great!!

Aviod painting them as they eventually get chipped and fade, then look terrible. RR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts