Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, who also has a triumph, uses royal purple synthetic oil (20w 50) but uses regular oil and not a motorcycle specific oil. Is that ok? If not, what would it do to harm the engine? If anything. I know nothing about this and am just curious. He told me that his rep (he's a certified mechanic by the way) told him that the royal purple synthetic motorcycle oil is exactly the same, but just packaged differently (as a motorcycle oil) for marketing reasons. Any input?
David

·
Registered
630 Posts
A friend of mine, who also has a triumph, uses royal purple synthetic oil (20w 50) but uses regular oil and not a motorcycle specific oil. Is that ok? If not, what would it do to harm the engine? If anything. I know nothing about this and am just curious. He told me that his rep (he's a certified mechanic by the way) told him that the royal purple synthetic motorcycle oil is exactly the same, but just packaged differently (as a motorcycle oil) for marketing reasons. Any input?
David
The primary concern when using a non motorcycle specific oil in your bike is that some motor oils contain friction modifiers that are not compatable with wet clutches. I've checked the Royal Purple site and they don't seem to make a motorcycle specific oil anyway.

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/

The Triumph user manual quotes the following:-

Triumph high performance engines are designed to use semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/40 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API-SH or higher (ie. SJ, SK or SL) AND JASO MA. Do not add any chemical additives to the engine oil. The engine oil also lubricates the clutch and any additives could cause the clutch to slip.
The JASO MA specification relates to the suitability of the oil for use with a wet clutch. Looking at the product sheet for Royal Purple 20W/50 motor oil I cannot see any statement that it meets the JASO MA specification. There is however this worrying statement:-

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/files/8G706VFE8H/rpmoamps.pdf

It gains its performance advantages from a blend of synthetic oils plus Royal Purple’s proprietary, synthetic Synerlec® additive technology. Synerlec® additive technology greatly reduces engine wear, including ring, cylinder and bearing wear. It is extremely tenacious, adheres to engine surfaces and remains after shutdown, which provides protection upon initial startup.
Personally I would not use this oil in my bike unless I could confirm that it definately meets the JASO MA specification.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well, yes and no. There is the infamous JASO rating (which has to do with friction additives). Some oils with a friction additive play hell with a wet clutch. You also need to think about the tranny (same oil). All that said, most synthetic oils work just fine, but some are really expensive - and there is no reason to spend that kind of money.

Oil threads tend to suck in all sorts of opinions: some based on fact, others based on myth. Stand by for too much information.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as you go to the web page that you have posted there....on the front page it says motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As soon as you go to the web page that you have posted there....on the front page it says motorcycle oil.
Yes it does but if you click on the "Motorcycle" link you will find that the only motorcycle specific oil they make is 2 stroke oil. The link at the top of that page labelled "Motorcycle engine oil" takes you to the same page as if you clicked the "Automotive" link on their front page and then clicked the "Motor Oil" link on the subsequent page. That is this page here:-

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=111&nav_cat_id=139&nav_top_id=60

Which is the page for their Royal Purple 4 Stroke Motor Oil. So regardless of whether you navigate through the "Automotive" link or the "Motorcycle" link you end up on the same page for the same oil. They are recommending the same 4 stroke oil for both automotive and motorcycle use so it cannot be a motorcycle specific oil.

This oil may be fine for use in our bikes but only if it meets the JASO MA specification as required by Triumph and I can see no confirmation of this on their site.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looking at the specs form the website the 15W-40 is rated for gasoline and diesel engine applications. Some have been using Shell Rotela diesel engine oil which I think carries same API rating as Royal Purple 15W-40. In any case if it doesn't make your clutch slip I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts