Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of tired of the weak power on my Scrambler and the discomfort at higher speeds due to the dirt bike riding position. So the dealer has a 2008 R1200R w/abs and 13k miles. I can get it for my bike (one year old 2006) plus $6k. Basically he is offering me $4k for the Scrambler, which seems a little low but the bike only cost me $6,500 new so maybe $4,000 isn't so bad.

I test rode the BMW today. Let me tell you, 109hp is a different world and a lot of fun. Plus the bike fit me really well. So I get into the pickup truck and come home and then go for a ride on the Triumph. I am reminded how good it sounds (TORS) and how nimble it is at moderate speeds. Also it is actually smoother than the BMW until you get to 65mph.

What I really want to do is keep them both but I can't justify that financially. It must be hard being a bike salesman when the poor customers don't even know what they want to do, lol. I want the BMW but I know I'll miss the Scrambler when it's gone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The grass isn't always greener, besides why would you want to leave the coolest forum for a BMW forum? Only kidding, BMW's are real nice, good luck on the decision.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Scrambler choices

I know where your at with the scrambler being poor at higher speed, have you thought of getting a windshield there are official ones or others like the dart that aren't too big which could spoil the looks. That's on my shopping list.

$6000 goes along way if you wanted to tune up the engine realistically your not going to make use of all the beemers power all of the time.

The scramblers never going to be as good an all rounder as the BMW but hey that's not why you bought it - it was because its a cool ride and is easy going.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do and your expectations from the bike. as cool as triumphs are it may not be what you want anymore, and the beemer may just be the ticket. it's definately a tough call, and i have also found myself in the same position, thinking about trading in my thruxton for a new tiger because i want something more versatile and able to go on long trips with, but when i go out to the garage and look at my bike, or get stopped at gas stations or when i am parking at a store by people who tell me how sweet the bike looks, i tell myself that i would never get rid of the thruxton!

whatever way you decide, do what makes YOU happy, since you will be the one riding the bike. make a list of the pros and cons of both bikes to possibly help with your decision. good luck!

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Maybe a cheaper route would be trade the scrambler in on a T-100, which has more power and rides better than the scrambler....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Although the Scrambler isn't really down on power to the T-100...a R1200R was on my short list and a very different bike than the Scrambler. BMW has their GS which is closer and meant more for all terrain. Choosing a single bike is very hard. I would only own a Scrambler if riding dirt roads on ocassion. I stay off the dirt on my T-100 so I don't have to clean it much. :) I like Bimmers on some levels but like their cars their bikes are a bit more complex than they need to be which they do to create their market. It is up to the individual if it is worth it or not. I personally think the dealer is offering you a decent deal. Buying a motorcycle is largely emotional. Go with your heart. The bimmer will be more expensive to maintain and likely to insure so keep that in mind.
Good Luck,
George

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If you only have the means or space for one bike & really like the Beemer then what the heck, go for it. Personally I think that a Scram makes for a killer 2nd bike, depending upon one's taste & riding environment.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I owned an R12R. It was a cool bike, no doubt about it. I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. I got a Scrambler now with some engine upgrades (NARK, cans, cams, carbs) and saving for more (904, Ignitor work). It's a whole different bike when you start reaping the engine's potential. If I had $6,000 and a Scrambler I'd have one fast, light, unique Scrambler you better believe! To each his own.

And in my humble opinion, Sand is right. The Triumph crowd is a much more interesting, less stodgy group.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I am constantly on the prowl, looking at new bikes. It's some kind of terrible affliction.

In the end I'm really happy with my current bikes. IMO there is no bike that is more fun to ride then the Scram. Having said that, The 'RT can't be beat for chomping the miles on the interstates. The BMW is far, far superior for touring.

My advice, keep the Scrambler and buy the BMW for those long trips. Although, have you considered the 'RT or 'LT?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Go with what makes you the happiest. The motorcycle gods love us regardless of what we ride - just as long as we are smiling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Of course go with what you like, but check out tranny and final drive woes on BMW twins. It is becoming a much more common problem, seems they may not make them like they used to...

·
Registered
165 Posts
......and next year you will dump the Beemer for a Ducati. And so it goes. Years pass. Still in the back of your mind you will forever regret selling the Scrambler. You will search Ebay for a nice example and be shocked to find they cost more than your house. All the young, rich Hollywood actors have bought them as they have become the ultimate status symbol. Though you may live a long and successful life, on your deathbed with your last breath and with all your family and loved ones around you utter "I never should have sold the Scrambler".

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had an R1100 GS.....it was an overweight top heavy tank once the fun wore off, an absolute pig to manouever in tight spaces and check out the running costs (tyres, fuel consumption etc)...and did I mention they are ugly...I just couldn't come to grips with it, as to me the main necessities of a bike is to be light and nimble so I sold it, and have not regretted for 1 second ...I reckon the Long way round guys had the entire film crew getting them out of situatons...apart from the power (which lets face it I can happily live without ) the bonnie is a vastly better bike for me in every respect

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I guess I'm with southpark on this one...look at the kind of riding you do and go from there. Personally, I've not had a better highway bike than the '88 K75 I owned several years ago. An efficient, mile gobbler that is still pounding out miles for the buddy I sold it to, but for me it lacked soul and it had to go.

Last summer, 500 miles into a trip on the thruxton, I was wishing I had the K back. Funny, though, once at the rally and for the remaining time, I was just fine with my machine and was no longer longing for a better touring machine. This was my first, 1000+ mile outing on my thruxton and there seemed to be a place along the ride where we bonded. I knew at that point that this bike is for keeps.

All I can say is that any bike can move you down the road...but only the rare machine will move your soul. Go with the one that does.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
They are very diferent bikes so hard to compare. I have a K1200RS and rode the R1200R for a while. Its a fast and very efficient in a BMW way. Out of the showroom it can carry lugguage, ride two up conmfortably and is great on the highway ie the R1200R is a good alround bike. Servicing will be expensive compared to the scrambler and you will be less inclined to work on the BMW yourself. Modding the BMW is also less rewarding as there are less options compared to the scrambler.

Then there is the 'BMW's lack soul debate'. I don't want to go down this path other than to say I commute on my beemer and spend my precious weekend time on my Thruxton - say no more....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know which where you walk here. It's a hard one. I think there's a lot of us out there that have thought about the R1200R when also thinking about a Bonnie.

I had decided last summer that it was time for a new ride; and as someone who was getting real tired of BMW (for a variety of reasons, but primarily because I'd been with 'em for a long time and was ready for a change) I still couldn't shake the desire to have me one of them new 1200 Roadsters; IMHO the coolest bike Herr Motorad has produced in a very long while. I also, though, had long been longing for a Triumph, and the fact that the Bonnies were about to go EFI piqued my interest even more. Yet I just couldn't escape the belief that I needed the Roadster, and I rode one for a couple weeks and few hundred miles (as a service loaner), and became even more hooked.

But then I finally rode the Bonnie. It took one 50 mile ride for me to know that there was simply not enough difference in the below 65 mph zone between the 2 bikes to warrant the $6,000 difference in price. Just no way. I'd never been more certain about anything when it came to bikes. You bet that R is going to be mo' sweet on the big open road - but the Bonnie works there fine enough for me.

I know our stories aren't the same (Scrambler vs T-100), but it can't hurt to throw another tale out there for you to hear as you work through this tough decision (deciding between great bikes is the absolute best worst thing ever :p ).

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you decide to part with the Scram just don't give it away for $4000. That is very much on the low end. Put it up on Craigslist or in the for sale forum here and see if anyone bites. You might squeeze $5000 or more out of it.

I would sell it to a Triumph lover for $4000 before letting it go to the dealer only for them to turn around and sell it for $6000.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If I had $6,000 and a Scrambler I'd have one fast, light, unique Scrambler you better believe! To each his own.
What he said!

Holy crap - with $6000 a Scrambler could be a whole new beast. It's already fun to ride, you can get a lot of power out of it for less money than that.
Motorcycle choices are very emotional though. I guess I'm lucky that the bike that runs through my head every night is the one in my driveway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bmw R1200gs

I love my T100 which is my only bike. But I hate to say if I could, I would trade up to the R1200R. From everything I've read since the 1200 version of the GS came out, you couldn't pick a better bike that does just about everything right. The Triumph's have more personality for sure, but you can't beat the technology and reliability baked into the beemers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts