Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just bought a 2014 T100 Black, and wouldn't you know, 4 days later the check engine light comes on, and the speedometer sits at 0. I've done research on this site and others, as well as gotten the code read at autozone, and I'm convinced its the speed sensor. I'm mechanical enough to swap out the sensor myself, and do most any other work that may be involved (aside from any real electrical reading work, as I dont have a reader/calibrator, nor the knowledge to do it), but before I spend ~$90 plus shipping on a new one, I'd like to see if anyone here could help me understand exactly how the speed sensor works on these bikes, and help me make sure I'm buying the right part. I also hope to get some advice on what else it could be, or if there are any way to breathe new life into the old one.

My understanding is that the speed sensor connects into the tranny and uses a magnetic reading to tell the speed. Can anyone confirm that what I'm looking for is #22 on the kit linked below?

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100065015-0-2&block_03=610810

Speedometer turns over and comes back to 0 when I turn the key, and the other lights in it work fine, so I know its functional up top. Is the only other possible culprit the speed sensor?
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I had the same issue with my ‘14 Thruxton last year. Before I bought the replacement, someone suggested cleaning the old one first. There’s not much to clean, it’s just a small plastic cylinder with a magnet inside. I wiped it off with an old rag and unplugged/plugged the connector. The speedo worked for a few minutes after that but was clearly not operating correctly, needle seemed like it was floating, slow to react, drunk. At least that confirmed the sensor to be the issue, not sure that yours would act the same but it’s worth a shot. I had every other issue you describe too, have you checked to see if you’re odometer is working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken off the plug and cleaned out with carb cleaner, no change there. I dont have the star head on me to take out the screw that holds the actual magnet, but thats what I'm waiting on before I order as well. Odometer/trip is a good idea, I haven't noticed anything just yet. Is the odometer based off the same signal?

Also, what replacement did you buy? Am I wrong to think the thruxton and bonneville use the same sensor?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Yes to both. The odometer get it’s signal from the sensor and the Thrux uses the same part.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I got my replacement from my dealer. If you don’t have one close, a lot of guys use Bike Bandit for OEM parts.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
That’s correct, I had no odometer/trip either. The sensor reads the output shaft of the transmission, so gear selection doesn’t matter. I’m not sure if it’s different on the older models, but for the VDO gauges, the reading comes from this sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts