Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've got the after market bullet indicators (turn signals). They are the clear lens units with the orange bulb. I got them New Bonneville earlier this year and installed them a couple of months ago.

I've noticed they seem to be full of condensation. I can't imagine this does the bulb any good even though it hasn't affected their performance. Are other's experiencing this problem. Is there a simple fix that anyone can recommend? In the longer term, might this result in any more serious problems?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Have the same issue, mine have been on the bike a year now. The orange from the bulb washes off, mounting and bolts corrode and they generally look unsightly. I haven't noticed any decrease in performance or have I had any issues with them when they are full of water.

Apart from that they are great.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Absolutley, there should be a small weep hole and that should be facing down. If there isn't I would carefully drill a small hole in the underside.

Also there should be a gasket that the lens sits on. If there isn't go to a hardware store and get either a little o-ring or some gasket maker.

Water and eletrics don't get along.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok I've carefully checked each of the indicators. There are definitely no weep holes in the lenses or the body of the indicators. The indicators are sitting the correct way as far as I can see.

I've now unscrewed the lenses, wiped out the inside of the lens and around the bulb and screwed the lenses back on tightly. The only thing I can put it down to is that the lenses may not be screwed to the body of the light tightly enough.

I'm a bit confused about how a weep hole would stop condensation as my understanding is it's caused by evaporation, which rises and therefore forms on the top of the underside of the lens. I guess before the evaporation occurs the water has a chance to drain.

Anyway, here's a photo of the indicator mounted.

p.s. this is after the lens has been removed, wiped out and tightened back in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Bonnie Sunshine,
The weep hole just lets the condensation out. There are weepers in the OE lights (I just checked) on my TT and my Bonnie and on the aftermarket ones for my TT.

They are all weepy.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cal,

Just checked my old OE indicators and can see the weep holes in them.
I might have to drill a couple of small holes in the base of the bullet turn signals. Hopefully, that will do the job.

Thanks for your input.

Brendan

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Gents,
I guess, I am curious about a weep hole on any of these lights. The reason is, there is only one light design for both sides of the bike. If you mount a light with a weep hole on the oppose side of the bike, the weep hole will now be on the top...not good. I do agree if there is a condensation issue that adding a small hole on the bottom when light positions are established should resolve the issue.

Brendan...a question please.
Do you know what bulbs go in those lights? Are they orange coated single filament 1156 per chance?
Thanks,
George
PS: I like how you have your bike set up.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks George.

I'm pretty sure they're duel filaments, orange coated bulbs. Not sure if they are 1156 but if it's printed on the bulb I could check. I know they are duel filament because that wiring option was on the rear of the packaging.

Brendan

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I like your light choice Brendan. I also like how you mounted them in back to the Triumph grab rail. Very nice. Could you check something for me please as I am considering those lights for my bike.
When you take the lens off to create a weep hole...could you check the bulb part number? My guess if dual filament is...they are an orange coated 1157 but I would like to confirm this if ordering these lights as bulb availability is important.
Last question...were the lights ordered separately versus in a complete kit...and from what supplier?
Thank you,
George
PS...a couple of further tips is...a 1mm weep hole right into the deep lense versus aluminum body would probably be easiest and two...always use di-electric paste inside sockets to keep corrosion down and optimize conductivity...only suggestions.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
George,

I'll check the bulbs in the morning. It's 11:46 pm here at the moment. Purchased them from newbonneville.com They were purchased separately (they came in two twin packs), purchased at the same time.

Brendan

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok weep holes drilled in the bottom of each lens at the lowest point.

I notice that the lenses seem to have weep holes on each side of the lens at a horizontal position.

George, the bulbs are marked as 12V/23/8W. They are a double filament bulb and a pic is attached below (not that clear but you'll get an idea from it).

Cheers

Brendan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thanks Brendan. Quite right Cal...those bulbs are very different from 1157's...and good tip about di-electric grease...precisely what the term di-electric connotes...non-conductive grease. Was hoping Brendan's lights used 1157's. I have the same bulbs only in clear with amber lenses in different Emgo lights and have been looking for some clear bulbs domestically and so far no go. I may have to order from Europe as I am finding out they are pretty rare in the US but perhaps available with some more digging. The base is indexed..and the bulb globe is much smaller than a 1157. I wonder if there is room inside Brendan's lights for an indexed base 1157...which are available in an amber coating?
Cheers,
George

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
George,
I think those are 73 bulbs but I haven't worked for Wagner for about 5 years so my memory is rusty.

Amber 1157's are 1157NA.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nope...nothing close to the 73. More derivative of the BA15 base family bulb.
See below. There are many interations of the BA15 bulb. One obscure nuance is...Brendan's and my bulbs are indexed...look at how high one locating node is compared to the other. Contrast that to the 1157 which has both nodes along the bottom but is also availabe indexed. I can only find the 12V/23/8W 15BA available out of the UK...not popular in the US at all.
Cheers,
George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brendan's and my bulbs are indexed...look at how high one locating node is compared to the other.
Hi George,

If by "indexed" you mean one bayonet is higher than the other you are correct. I believe that is because they are duel filament bulbs so can be wired up as driving lights as well as turn signals. I maybe quite incorrect, but I understood that there was one dedicated filament to the turn signals function and one for the driving light function. Thus the bulbs can only be seated into the holder in one particular direction.

I don't use their "driving light" function as it's not a popular modification here in Australia, and I was told by the electrician than because of the small size of the light casing, compared to the power of the lights they could tend to get very hot. Using them solely as an indicator/turn signal should ameliorate this tendency.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts