Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the compression adjustment screws on the front fork lowers of a TBS can be removed and repaired? If so is it a simple job or does it require a fork rebuild?

Mine have seized and I was going to heat them up and attack them with an impact driver. If it's possible to remove them easily I'll pop them out and clean them up (or replace them).

I don't know how they interact with the fork internals and didn't want to remove them without consultation.

Cheers,

Wayne

·
Registered
69 Posts
I rebuilt my forks last year after I had them powder coated. I was concerned the brass adjustment screws would be affected by the heat during the process but luckily they were not. I took the time to examine them in hopes they could be removed but after a call to the local dealer was advised they were pressed in and had a rubber seal somewhere on the inner portion. In my trials they will only back out so far, I applied considerable force to attempt to remove them but feared damaging them so gave up. The fork lowers are NOT cheap so I'd recommend not going at them with an impact driver for sure. As they’re brass they are pretty soft. Try PB Blaster and maybe a bit of heat (remember that alleged rubber seal) and twist back and forth with a screw driver until free. As it's brass in aluminum it's probably oxidisation more than anything else causing the binding.

As for their interaction with the internals.... it doesn't look like they come into contact with anything inside but you can see the brass "shaft" at the bottom of the fork lower and as such.. If they snap off you may end up with a mess of fork oil and a lame horse until the lower is repaired or replaced.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
My recommendation would be to take off the forks and stand them in an oil bath or pb blaster for a few days - then carefully start to work the screws - get a good quality - good fitting driver. I would not try to remove them or use any sort of impact tool - other than I might be tempted to give a solid knock straight onto the screw head with a suitable soft drift to help break a corrosion seal. Go at this carefully, patiently and persistently - never use great force - you should be able to free them - though it may take a little while.

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have a few other issues to see to first but I'll report back when I've had time to try your advise.

It looks like it'll be a slow process to get them freed but forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts