Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alas, becoming an Octogenarian brings with it some issues that have my biking days in question. I have a 1961 bonne chopper with a 750 conversion. This is left over from my much younger days 45 yrs ago inspired by Easy Rider. I can’t believe both those guys are gone. I restored the bike and am back riding, but having lots of problems starting it. My younger biking friends can fire it up on the first kick. After 6 puny kicks I am exhausted. I wouldn't think of riding alone.
What about a compression release? Triumph made one I understand, but have never seen one. I am ready to try anything. Are they available? Does the head have to be modified?
Any help for this weak old man would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
There are a few aftermarket compression releases made for Harleys. They screw into a 10mm spark plug hole, so the cylinder head would have to be modified. Maybe something like this will work. Google, Harley aftermarket compression release.

There used to be an aftermarket Harley compression release that screwed onto the regular spark plug hole, using a modified spark plug. I's no longer shown on the manufacturer's site, so it may not be available anymore. I have reservations about this device: spark plug thread engagement, spark plug length, interference with other items on the bike, etc: https://twistingthewick.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/ez-release-compression-release-by-wimmer/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. That looks like an easy way to solve my problem without removing the head and having machine work done. Ill check ebay and see what I can find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts