Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I have purchased a fork from a Daytona tt600 and I can't figure how to set it: are both screws on top for compression? Or one (left or right?) is for compression and the other for rebound?

I thought the two screws at the bottom of the forks (near the calipers) where to adjust the rebound, but they seem to be just blocked.

And what kind of fork oil is used on these forks (SAE 10, 15, 20???)

Can you help me please?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The large adjustment on top needing a wrench is the spring preload and the smaller flat-head screw is rebound. The flat-head screw at the bottom of the outer fork tube is the compression adjustment.

If you are mixing forks (i.e. they both came from different bikes) you should remove the fork tube cap on both forks, disassemble the preload adjuster, and reassemble the adjuster making sure that both sides are screwed onto the damper rod the same amount. If you don't make sure they are even, your preload hash marks will not be calibrated the same which means your preloads will be different for each fork.

The factory spec fork oil is 10 weight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The large adjustment on top needing a wrench is the spring preload and the smaller flat-head screw is rebound. The flat-head screw at the bottom of the outer fork tube is the compression adjustment.

If you are mixing forks (i.e. they both came from different bikes) you should remove the fork tube cap on both forks, disassemble the preload adjuster, and reassemble the adjuster making sure that both sides are screwed onto the damper rod the same amount. If you don't make sure they are even, your preload hash marks will not be calibrated the same which means your preloads will be different for each fork.

The factory spec fork oil is 10 weight.
Thank you for your answer!

Forks come from the same bike, the only problem is that the screws at the bottom of the outer fork tubes seem to be blocked! :(

Another question: do you know what level should oil be at with both forks totally extended?

Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Are you sure the comp adjusters are blocked? How so? They are the large brass screws located on the backside of the bottom outer tube (one on each fork). If they will not turn, spray a little penetrating oil on them and let them set; then try turning them. They are right hand threads, so if the screws look sunk into the fork, they’re probably bottoming out so turn them left (and vice versa.)

The oil is set when the fork is fully compressed, so I don't know what the level is when fully extended. The level when fully compressed is 132mm of space from the top of the inner tube to the oil (which is 455cc of oil if you have the syringe tool.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure the comp adjusters are blocked? How so? They are the large brass screws located on the backside of the bottom outer tube (one on each fork). If they will not turn, spray a little penetrating oil on them and let them set; then try turning them. They are right hand threads, so if the screws look sunk into the fork, they’re probably bottoming out so turn them left (and vice versa.)

The oil is set when the fork is fully compressed, so I don't know what the level is when fully extended. The level when fully compressed is 132mm of space from the top of the inner tube to the oil (which is 455cc of oil if you have the syringe tool.)
Thank you so much!!! I will try to spray a little penetrating oil and regulate...

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much!!! I will try to spray a little penetrating oil and regulate...

Thank you!
I have another issue with my speed four is that the compression screw at the bottom of the fork was actually glued in place. i h ave drilled out the compression screw but dont know where to find a replacement. can you recommend me a site where i can find a replacement?
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can purchase the comp screw separately from the outer fork tube. Check out bikebandit.com for parts, although they don't list or even call out a specific number for the part. You might try calling a local or semi-local dealership and ask the parts salesperson.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can purchase the comp screw separately from the outer fork tube. Check out bikebandit.com for parts, although they don't list or even call out a specific number for the part. You might try calling a local or semi-local dealership and ask the parts salesperson.
Yeah i did that, rang my local triumph dealer nd the salesman didnt kno what i was talkin bout but did find another guy with the same issue but on a tt600 and a company called k-tech make a performace part called a control flow valve which might fit my bike. they are gonna ring me back on monday to check if it would fit my baby speed. they go by forks so im not completely sure if a tt600 has the same forks as my speed four im sure they do but with different springs but i dnt completely know. thanks for your help tho:)

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Why do you say they come with the tube? You can buy them right there, just the caps.
You are confused; Whwarren is looking for the compression screw alone, not the outer fork tube or the fork caps. Triumph does not spec the screws as being sold separately, so one would have to purchase a very expensive outer tube just for the screw. I don't know where caps came into question, as the caps control rebound and preload and have nothing to do with compression.

Whwarren, TT600, S4, and D6 forks are the same. S4s came with lighter springs, supposedly, although I could not get much of a measured difference when testing the two side by side. The springs are interchangeable, so you can just swap them over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are confused; Whwarren is looking for the compression screw alone, not the outer fork tube or the fork caps. Triumph does not spec the screws as being sold separately, so one would have to purchase a very expensive outer tube just for the screw. I don't know where caps came into question, as the caps control rebound and preload and have nothing to do with compression.

Whwarren, TT600, S4, and D6 forks are the same. S4s came with lighter springs, supposedly, although I could not get much of a measured difference when testing the two side by side. The springs are interchangeable, so you can just swap them over.
Thank you bombfactory you know exactly what i was talkin bout. i ended up ordering this part from k-tech because the rest of the forks are in good condition along with some new fork stanchions from abe.
http://www.k-tech.uk.com/product_detail.php?id=1057
this
this is only for the screw and fit a tt600 so as they are the same i can use this part. thank you for your help. the best forum i have used. all in all i might have been better off getting used forks but least now they will be well serviced with new upgraded parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts