Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm aware correctly... completely unplugging the OEM speedo from CAN BUS will stop the bike from starting up.

I want to bin the original clocks, is there a workaround to trick the software?

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As far as I know only the Motogadget m-Tri device will do it, at a price though: £319.90!!

https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/motogadget-electrics/m-tri.html

A much cheaper alternative appeared announced right here nearly 3 years ago but it disappeared without trace:

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/788993-introducing-the-y-box-switch-to-custom-gauges-made-easy.html
I know of the mtri but really struggling to believe it’s the only solution. Even the best mechanics I could find near me that install motogadget speedos are hesitant to take on the m-tri saying it’s a real pain in the ass. Aside from the price I’m not sure I will be able to install it myself.

Maybe the cheapest and safest option is to keep the oem clocks attached but disassembled and wrapped up hidden inside the headlight as I currently do until something better comes along.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Maybe the cheapest and safest option is to keep the oem clocks attached but disassembled and wrapped up hidden inside the headlight as I currently do until something better comes along.

It has been done before. It involved gutting an OEM canbus speedo, pulling the printed circuit board out, insulating it and stuffing it inside the headlamp shell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
baak france, have a plug and play motogadet mini speedo,i installed it in 30 mins, works perfectly, not cheap, but what a cool piece of kit.
to wire yourself does look a little difficult but i was more worried about shorting the unit accidently! now that will be costly!.
hence decided to pay a little extra to have it soldered up by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
baak france, have a plug and play motogadet mini speedo,i installed it in 30 mins, works perfectly, not cheap, but what a cool piece of kit.
to wire yourself does look a little difficult but i was more worried about shorting the unit accidently! now that will be costly!.
hence decided to pay a little extra to have it soldered up by someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm guessing you went for the m-tri kit with the motoscope mini, I should have also done this in hindsight as it would have been cheaper as a bundle deal. I went just for the motoscope speedo. It's pretty useless to be honest so am now trying to remove it and also the original gauges and simply have warning and indicator lights on an LED panel. Everything else like trip and speed can be seen from a phone's GPS.

Now to get rid of the OEM clocks, it seems like the £300 ($300) mtri might be the only way to go.

·
Registered
929 Posts
from what i've seen on here about the M-tri it still requires being connected to a speedo with a digital signal to permit the canbus equipped bikes to start..

my solution was to leave the oe speedo connected, but i re-routed the loom back from the headlight to what remained of my air filter box and placed the connected and suitable protected oe speedo in there. with the required idiot light wires for my MG chronoclassic piggy-backed off the oe loom.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from what i've seen on here about the M-tri it still requires being connected to a speedo with a digital signal to permit the canbus equipped bikes to start..

my solution was to leave the oe speedo connected, but i re-routed the loom back from the headlight to what remained of my air filter box and placed the connected and suitable protected oe speedo in there. with the required idiot light wires for my MG chronoclassic piggy-backed off the oe loom.
Ah, good to know, was wondering if that’s the case. I’ve also binned the OE front headlight so have to find a new space for it. At this rate its becoming tighter than a jap car engine bay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has been done before. It involved gutting an OEM canbus speedo, pulling the printed circuit board out, insulating it and stuffing it inside the headlamp shell.
Jumping in on this and thinking this is the way to go rather than selling my kidney for the m.tri unit. Is there a thread where this was done step by step? can you splice into most of the wires to connect a motoscope mini unit?

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Jumping in on this and thinking this is the way to go rather than selling my kidney for the m.tri unit. Is there a thread where this was done step by step? can you splice into most of the wires to connect a motoscope mini unit?

It has been done a few times but not documented with any great detail. The nearest is this thread from @Thruxtomah :

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/232712-tuto-how-to-plug-motogadget-motoscope-mini.html

Also this one which shows the speedo circuit board being tucked a way inside the headlamp shell, see posts 12 and 20 from @Babushka :

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-talk/202401-12-thruxton-remove-tach-or-speedo-2.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts