Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this? I'm considering buying it.

British Customs' website does not claim this, but I saw someone selling one on ebay, and their claim was that this kit requires not cutting or drilling of bodywork. Has anyone here installed it? Is this true?

I am loathe to do a fender mod that I can't reverse if I want to.

I have heard people here say that the Mad Doctor kit does not fit well, so I'm leaning toward Werkes.

Any comments on either?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
edit, according to competition werkes, it requires no cutting or drilling. I'm going to order it. I'll update you when I have it installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the C/W. I like it, but I also have the seat cowel. Without the cowel it looks like poo. I installed it in literally 30 minutes (that's with painting it flat black) and yes... No cutting, no drilling, etc. It comes with some decent looking signals of which just takes some splicing and butt conectors to hook up.

One complaint I have is now the seat is a little tougher to take off and lock on. A bracket under the latch is replaced with a tad bit smaller thickness of a bracket. I jacked with it a bit and got it as good as I could, but it still takes a little minor "tap" to get the latch engaged.

For the money it is pretty good. But it does kind of rub me the wrong way without the cowel. Fortunately I will probably never remove the cowel b/c I don't plan on having a passenger.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ive heard good things about it!! call bc and ask them if its true about no drilling....and a suggestion get rid of the signals and purchase a daytona 675 clear alternatives integrated turn signal tailight...it would look really clean!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock Photo

rms_z28 said:
For the money it is pretty good. But it does kind of rub me the wrong way without the cowel. Fortunately I will probably never remove the cowel b/c I don't plan on having a passenger.
What do you mean, without the cowl it rubs you the wrong way?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Id really like to see a pic without the cowl.... I just got mine in the mail today and im already not impressed with what I got.

Could someone please make it happen....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed this Comp Werkes undertail on my 08 without seat cowl. I reused the stock signals as opposed to the signals they sent with the kit. I have obsessive compulsive tendencies and could not have mismatched signals. I'm overall pretty not unsatisfied with it. :D I'd post the requested pic, but it is currently dark outside and the cam phone doesn't likey. Will post tomorrow if needed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds great, i would love to see the pic.

how was the install, pretty easy re-using the stock signals? how is the fit of everything?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
What do you mean, without the cowl it rubs you the wrong way?
I'm not rms_z28, but what bugs me with the CW kit is that it is missing the whole taillight surround plastic. The light and frame is fully exposed.

The whole kit looks like just a flat piece of aluminium sheet with a bend in it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm with Martin.

The surrounding plastic goes bye bye, and pushes the tail light aft about 1 inch because the liscense light gets tucked in behind the tail light.

With the cowel installed the difference between the seat and the light is somewhat subdued. Without the cowel the tail light looks a bit like a cancerous growth under the seat. And it looks a bit generic without the plastic surround.

I have it, I liked the price, and now I will stick with it. Plus I painted it flat black, so it looks alright.

There is no drilling required! The only "special" tool required is a T-30 for the seat latch (If you could call it a special tool). And I tried some washers, still not as good as stock.

Oh...

And if I can un ass myself from my seat and leave the bike sit long enough to snap a shot with and without the cowel, I will. But I can't seem to leave her all alone in the garage for too long... The road keeps calling!

·
Registered
24 Posts
You say the tail light gets moved back an inch? I was hoping to cut and incorporate the black plastic with the fender elim. Do you think its possible?

I have yet to mess with this as I wanted to plasticote it first but it may end up back in a box heading to CW.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes... There is a bracket that retains the tail light that also tucks the liscense light up in behind the tail light; hence, pushing the tail light aft about the length of the stock liscense light.

I still have all of my plastic and I thought about going crazy with the dremel and some fiberglass to see if I could graft it all together.

Too much work, so I will continue to rock it as is. Now gravel and water love my back side!

Maybe during the winter I'll cook something up with the plastics.

·
Registered
43 Posts

You may not like it... But you don't have to. That why it's mine and not yours.:cool:

I do; however, hate it without the cowel installed. So, no passengers for me!:D

Hope this is good for ya!

·
Registered
19 Posts
sounds great, i would love to see the pic.

how was the install, pretty easy re-using the stock signals? how is the fit of everything?
Quality is good. I used my stockers so the front and back signals would matchy. The mount for the signals was meant for single post signals, but the dual post stockers still mounted up pretty easy. I just had to get a bit creative with the wires. It comes clear coated (steel I guess.) I painted mine, you guessed it flat black. End result looks great to me. It is just 3 pieces of sheet metal bent to fit neatly. I'm not sure what else you want from a tail tidy. I want as little trash back there as possible. You do eliminate the tail light surround (again for me it's a naked bike, get that **** outta there.) Installation was a bugger the first go around. It was 85F and 85% humidity so my patience was limited. Also they sent me instructions which were fine, but the diagrams were for an SV650 or something so I got pretty frustrated. Once it cooled down outside, and I went for round 2 it was no problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thank you so much for the pics... I think mine is going back in the mail for now. It does look a lot better than the stock fender but I don't have a seat cowl to help me out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I wish they had pics as detailed as this on their website, I definitely would not have ordered it.
:(

1 - 20 of 59 Posts