Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a shop that is familiar with boring and honing finned cylinders. I've heard they can some out tapered if not properly done. Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
While I don't know anyone in your area...
I think on the 650's you get a superior bore if a torque plate is used. See if the machine shop uses one. If not check with with some shops that work on old Triumphs. They might have one they send out with cylinders when they sublet their boring work.
If you know a machinist they are pretty easy to make. If you got some time on your hands, you could probably make one with a drill press using a head gasket as a pattern.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you know a machinist they are pretty easy to make. If you got some time on your hands, you could probably make one with a drill press using a head gasket as a pattern.
Thanks, Bob. I'll keep that in mind if I can't find a shop that has one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There are also places you can mail them too.
RD engineering in Costa Mesa, Ca. is very good and he knows Triiumphs. He also does some pretty snazzy head work on Triumphs.

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
Big D doesn't do machine work, they farm it out. Whoever they use, is who I would use.

If you want to send the stuff down here, my machinist has done many dozens of heads & cylinders in nearly 30 years, with zero issues.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are also places you can mail them too.
RD engineering in Costa Mesa, Ca. is very good and he knows Triiumphs. He also does some pretty snazzy head work on Triumphs.
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know you lived that close to Dallas.
http://www.bigdcycle.com/index.html. These guys are the platinum standard for Triumph work.
Please see if they have shop T-shirts while you are there. I really want to get my hands on one.
Yep, they do awesome work. It's not only where I bought my bike, but quite a few parts as well. Or should I be honest and say a lot of parts...

Tees are 15, long sleeve tees 18. Call and talk to Jerrett or send an email to[email protected] . If that fails let me know, I'm there 2-4 times per month.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big D doesn't do machine work, they farm it out. Whoever they use, is who I would use.

If you want to send the stuff down here, my machinist has done many dozens of heads & cylinders in nearly 30 years, with zero issues.
Right you are. I asked "how much" when I should have asked "who". I was a little surprised...

If you don't mind, PM me the rate...unless you don't mind posting it. Thanks, GPZ.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah... But do they use sandpaper?!
Hahaha! Oddly enough, I had a glaze breaker many moons ago that used "carborundum" sheets that clamped to rubber blocks shaped like honing stones. Worked great to reestablish crosshatch in the cylinders just to freshen them up! I guess "Bob" hasn't ever seen a Flex Hone, either...

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got flex hones, but I like a rougher grit for Triumphs . I usually use an Aamco adjustable hone.

It sounds like you are on the right track for machine shops. The trick is to find one that knows how to handle vintage Triumph parts.
Thanks for the info on the T-Shirts.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts