Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow self isolators.

The glass in the speedometer of my '99 Legend has cracked and I'm considering using a Dremel to cut the plastic case and use some silicon sealant / duct tape to effect a repair. However, I need a donor odometer / rev counter case. Would any of you learned people know which other Triumph models have clocks with the same bezel and diameter as the Legend TT? I was wondering about the 900 Trophy or maybe an older Bonnie?

Thanks and stay safe.

Andy

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I haven’t measured them but others have reported the Trophy 900 clocks are a bit bigger. An older Bonnie will be tough, not sure if the speedometer would be accurate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate. I need to replace / fix the odometer but the 885 Thunderbird / Legend / Adventurer gauges are sooo expensive. I'm looking for any alternatives. Even if this means cutting the casing and reattaching the bezel and glass.

Andy

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Cutting the casing and installing new glass and reattaching may be your best bet. Does it work properly?

·
Registered
314 Posts
i took the bezel off my thunderbird gauges , i got a small electrical screwdriver and bent the tip 90 degrees in vice, then slowly worked the lip up all the way round by using my thumb as a rest for the cdrewdriver and prying against it, i cleaned the gauges and clipped it back on and pushed the lip back down, this was 4 yrs ago and still ok, if gauge works you could easily and cheaply get glass cut for it,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i took the bezel off my thunderbird gauges , i got a small electrical screwdriver and bent the tip 90 degrees in vice, then slowly worked the lip up all the way round by using my thumb as a rest for the cdrewdriver and prying against it, i cleaned the gauges and clipped it back on and pushed the lip back down, this was 4 yrs ago and still ok, if gauge works you could easily and cheaply get glass cut for it,
I did consider this but the bezel is dented and has a crack so I'd prefer to replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if I could source a broken? rev meter from a Thunderbird, Adventurer, Legend or S3 and cut this open to grab the bezel and glass. Anyone got one for sale?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts