Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to triumph. I posted a while back about the conversion of a 2003 Daytona to a Speed Triple and I just bought the bike. There are a few things I'd like to do with it, and I may start with the clipons. Will a 2006 Tiger upper triple fit the 2003 Daytona?

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
That's a tough question...

On the 2003 Daytona, there were two options for upper clamps, depending on your VIN. Whether or not the one on the Tiger will fit on either, or both is beyond me and to be honest, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to find out. Also, if you do buy the Tiger clamp, you'll have some rather ugly holes sticking through the top of it where the bars once were. If your intent was to use the bars, that's not going to work. The Front Fairing will interfere with the bars, to the point where I would consider it dangerous....

If you can buy the part with the option to return, then you might wanna give it a shot. Otherwise, I'd say "pass" until you can get something that you know will work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Daytona i bought was wrecked, so it's naked now. I want to convert it to a speed triple, get rid of the clip ons, and add a bar, which is why i'm looking for a new upper triple. I've heard the speed triple upper triple will work, but i don't see many of them available, but i've found an upper triple for a 2006 tiger 955. I have no front fairing on the bike anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also just noticed something odd compared to my other bike...the daytona will let me try to start it while in gear, clutch pulled in, and kickstand down, but won't kick over till i either put it in neutral or pull up the stand. my other bike won't let me even try to start it with the stand down and in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
also just noticed something odd compared to my other bike...the daytona will let me try to start it while in gear, clutch pulled in, and kickstand down, but won't kick over till i either put it in neutral or pull up the stand. my other bike won't let me even try to start it with the stand down and in gear.
That is normal...

As for the clamp, one method that I routinely use to to look at the parts schematics on bikebandit.com for a comparison. If Decosse doesn't know, you might want to give John at Sky king products a call. He makes aftermarket parts for Tigers and Daytonas. He might know...

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
...the daytona will let me try to start it while in gear, clutch pulled in, and kickstand down, but won't kick over till i either put it in neutral or pull up the stand..
Edit - I had to re-read three times what you were saying about the interlock:

If in gear and stand down, it will crank but not fire
Also, if you start bike in neutral, with stand down, if you try to click into gear bike should immediately die.

i.e. what you are seeing is correct.

My two Suzuki's operate like your other premise - no power at all when stand is down and in gear.

Tiger top clamp won't work - 43mm fork tubes vs 45 on the Daytona.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help, guys.

DEcosse, I could definitely use your expertise with my Speedtona. I have a couple of things I need/want to do with it, and I'd bet you'd be a pretty good resource. When I get photos of her, I'll post up about what I want to accomplish and see if you're able to help. I appreciate any assistance you are able to provide. I believe you're the one that posted a while back when I first joined the site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.