Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a compatibility guide between the 1050 sprint st and the 955 st after dismantling both with the exception of the headstem and forks.

I've recently bought a new (3700kms )2009 1050 ST with damaged forks and front rim and fairings and sought to retrofit all its components to a 2004 955 sprint st

In so doing, I've determined the compatibilities between the 2 models and perhaps this may assist anyone who wishes to seek the benefits of doing same.

Why do this : Well with the new GT , it occurred to me that many of the advances are just regressing back to the 955 design and 10kgs heavier as well. By performing all the work to retrofit a 1050 to a 955 sprint and upgrade the 6th gear while the engine is out, you get a lighter version of the GT and a wheel base that is between the ST and the GT, a perfect compromise on stability and lighter weight. :smile: By upgrading the 6th gear while the engine is out, you get the taller gearing and the lighter weight.
The increased under seat space by relocating the ecu to be the new one near the front forks, is another gain as is the potential to add to this with the fusebox/glovebox on the right hand side. Furthermore the side exhaust allows more power because it is less restrictive and the headlights have large reflectors that can be upgraded in globe wattage without damage.
The bike is also available in Aston (v.Dark) Green which sets off nicely against the chrome but this is just my preference.

Engine
1050 fits right in, But remember the spacer on the lower rear mount near the front sprocket, mark it with masking tape and slide it on the mounting bolt upon removal to remind you !!.

Clutch
The clutch cable and lever is best replaced as a set from the 1050 sprint st as it has an adjustable lever whereas the 955 is not adjustable.

Gearbox
The 6th gear can be upgraded to be taller at a modest cost of $300 AUD, this just needs the one caveat, remember to remove the clutch basket as the oil pump behind the clutch is chain driven and will not let the casing halves separate unless removed. To facilitate this, remember to remove the clutch center spacer as this allows the clutch basket to come away from the other gears. A magnet is very useful for this.

Elec connections
tail light connectors at rear need to be changed from either loom.
regulator is identical and the wiring from the regulator to the 1050 loom
will reach and plug straight in. The 1050 loom matches the 1050 motor
so a loom swap is the best option.

Wheels, bearings and frame
wheels fit right in, but to keep the old wheels you will have to cut the
speed sensor wire as it is not used.
The rear axle bearings can be replaced as a set by replacing the whole
hub rather than removing the bearings which is a more tedious job. The
bearing hub is fully compatible

Lights
lights are better on the old model and indeed the new GT has old
reflector design. connectors are different and can be changed over.

Elec accessories
heated grips connectors are slightly different so use old plug from old
loom

Brakes
brakes are identical so use whichever is newer, mostly likely the 1050

Drivechain
sprockets are the same except rear is one tooth smaller at 42.
bearings of rear and front axle are both identical, so use whichever is
newer

Instruments
Here is where you are going to get creative, but its not hard, just
patience testing. simply cut the old instruments out with as large a
whole as will allow a flush mount of the new instrument facia. Fill in the
holes with plastic panels (plastic weld for strength) from unused new
bike then use a self leveling epoxy filler available from auto paint shops.
Finally finish with sandpaper as the epoxy is easy sanding type and
spray with car bumper automotive spray. Very professional finish and
even creates the textured finish from the spray can itself.

Exhaust
use the old 955 exhaust because it fits with the frame, if you are a
purist like me, you can get the tailpiece cut just after the collector on
both pipes and have the exhaust shop join the rear of the 955 with the
headers of the 1050, which allows the oxygen sensor to be better place
to read from all 3 pipes instead of from one primary pipe in the 955 and
also the length of the primaries and collector are more suited to the
1050 tune with lengths differing by an inch or so for collector and
primaries to boost revving in the 1050.

Oil cooler and Radiator
oil cooler is 50% shorter but same width, radiator is taller but together
they take up the same space. Fan on the 1050 is also larger to suit the
larger radiator. because the overflow is to the rear on the 955 and
takes weight off the front forks, you will have to get a radiator shop to
rotate the radiator neck so that the overflow pipe points backwards.
mounting of the cooler and radiator are the same and the oil cooler
pipes are a better design and will have to be changed along with the
cooler itself because the pipes connect to different spots on the 1050
engine than the 955.

Throttlebody and Injectors
throttle body matches the fuel rail of the 1050 which in turn matches
the airbox. Assuming you are going to keep the old fuel tank for
appearances sake, you still have the choice of using either the 1050
airbox with intake direct from ramair flow or to stick with the old 955
with superior idle control via 3 hoses to the head.
Because the 1050 fuel rail has no return fuel line back to the tank, you
will have to use 2 brass tee joints to bypass the fuel intake and allow
the fuel regulator to function from the pressure in the outgoing line
instead of the now defunct return line. This allows the new throttle
body to be used.
The 955 injectors are larger and will flow more, but they wount fit the
1050 rails and then the older throttle body will need to be used, which
will make the idle more precise but you will need to drill holes in the
head to do this.
The 1050 has an airbox mount that can be removed and attached to
the 955 frame with some adjustment of its profile to permit flush
mounting. Simply angle grind the mount so that it is flush with no
protruding vertical parts. this mount also holds the helmholtz filter
which simply tops the howling of the air intake and also houses the tilt
sensor and air pressure sensor which are necessary for the new ecu.

ECU.
The 1050 has a new ecu that has a bracket to support it on the front
left hand side of the bike near the forks. This bracket can simply be
attached to the 955 frame by drilling a very small hole in the equivalent
position to the 1050 frame. A threaded shaft can be used to connect
this bracket at the front to its equivalent on the right hand side that
houses the glove box. With this shaft and the attachment of the
brackets to the frame, the ecu is the securely fitted to the bike.

GloveBox/FuseBox
The glove box that houses the fusebox is attached to the right hand
side of the bike identically to the ecu mount.

Sidestand
The sidestand is not compatible with the centrestand of the 955 because they knock when both are raised. The centrestand of the 1050 has its spring on the other side and this may interfere with the exhaust, so the best action is to keep the original centrestand and sidestand as there are no advances to be made here.

Gear lever
The Gear lever of the 1050 sticks out further and makes it more difficult to use the sidestand if used with the support bracket of the 955. The 1050 gearlever bracket has different mounting holes and a change in these mounts will be unsightly. so the best option here again is to remain with the gear lever for the 955. this is fully compatible with the spindle for the gear change on the engine itself.

After you have done all this, you'll need tuneecu and an ebay cable to retune your bike for the different exhaust setup and some more power.

I have found that this delivers a bike that has all the benefits of the GT and none of the disadvantages.
the suspension is not upgraded, but hey...the bike is much lighter so there is less need.
Also.. The panniers of the 955 hold a full face helmet just like the GT.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance of this working on an 00 955 RS?
you'll need one 1050 sprint st with fairing damage and perhaps bent forks.
mix liberally with patience and inginuity
add a dash of led technology and some plastic moulding
and stir well with 6th gear upgrade and new mapping.

seriously though...
I can offer assistance, but I can't offer the main effort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RS Wheel Upgrade

Hi, That's a really interesting post you've written. I have one question though... do you know if the wheels from a 1050 Sprint will fit directly onto my 05' 955 RS? I have seen a pair of these wheels for sale & think they'd suit my bike (if they fit of course!!)
Many thanks, Stu :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, That's a really interesting post you've written. I have one question though... do you know if the wheels from a 1050 Sprint will fit directly onto my 05' 955 RS? I have seen a pair of these wheels for sale & think they'd suit my bike (if they fit of course!!)
Oh...sorry for the delay in replying Stu,

I imagine that the wheel fittings are the same for rs and st sprints.

I have placed the 1050 wheel on the rear of my 955 but the front 1050 rim was bent so I have not tried that.

The speed pickup is off the front axle and this should not affect the front wheel. I am not absolutely certain, but your chances of success are very good indeed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have put a notify on this post so I am advised
of any replies now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great work! Any chance you have looked into swapping the 1050 muffler into an undertail unit for the 955i? Thought about looking into it, as the single swingarm should really have an undertail can to show it off, but the undertail kits for the bike are way too cost prohibitive for me!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great work! Any chance you have looked into swapping the 1050 muffler into an undertail unit for the 955i? Thought about looking into it, as the single swingarm should really have an undertail can to show it off, but the undertail kits for the bike are way too cost prohibitive for me!

Hi Crash,

I understand that moving the muffler to be undertail, might show off the wheel more and that two brothers have a really great sounding dual exhaust under the seat but there are a few compromises that I would have to make for these 2 advantages.

1. The centre of gravity of the bike would be higher
2. The underseat storage would either have to go completely or it would be quite hot.
3. The longer S bend pipe would restrict the exhaust flow more
4. that big booming sound on rolloff would be gone because the muffler would be shorter.
5. The nice chrome look, reminiscent of earlier Triumphs would also be gone and that's a big loss.

I also note that the new 675 triple and daytona have a lower exhaust because of 1 and 3 above.

I do like the sound of the two brothers undertail exhaust on the 955 though..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow that's just the question on rear the spindle / hub I was trying to find out. So I now know I can buy a second hand modern rear wheel spindle/hub and it will fit right into my spring RS 2004 model.

Cheers Clive

·
Registered
18 Posts
1050 tank on a 955i

Hi,

My 955i tank is suffering from Ethanol induced deformation. I'm considering fitting a steel tank from a 1050 and you seem to have relevant experience. I'd like to use the pump unit from the 1050 but, as you know, the regulator is in the feed side so there is no return line. Do you know if I could just blank off the existing return from the 955i's fuel rail?

Apart from that, I'm hoping I can fabricate some mounts to make it fit on the frame. I'm not too worried about aesthetics as long as I no longer have a tank that's turning into jelly beneath me. Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
21,540 Posts
... I'd like to use the pump unit from the 1050 but, as you know, the regulator is in the feed side so there is no return line. Do you know if I could just blank off the existing return from the 955i's fuel rail?...
That is correct:
for the 06 955 Daytona the Factory did exactly that, when they changed to the internal regulator and single feed rail - simply plug the return feed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've not actually put a 1050 tank on a 955 frame. But I have rerouted the internal plumbing of the 955 tank to allow it to vent back into itself instead of on a return line. Then I just blocked off the external connector as a further measure. This allowed me to use a 955 tank for originality with a 1050 engine. Works well and externally connected fuel pressure regulation on those tanks helps maintain pressure when throttle is first opened.
Of course if your tank is melting then all bets are off and as Decosse says, just block it off. I've heard that some 1050 tanks rust but I'm not sure what fuel they used or what conditions they were used in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Warped tank

I have a '04 and had the tank off the bike for about 2 months during the winter and the it tweeked so bad it wouldn't fit back on the bike. I ended up having to cut the leading lip where the front bolt screws down in order to get it to sit back down in the frame. It was actually much easier than i thought and has not caused any problems. However ! I would never leave the tank off the bike for any longer than necessary. The tank also now permanently has bubbles in the finish but they have not opened up in two years and i will live with them. Where I live we have the option of marine fuel which is ethanol free (because ethanol absorbs gas-not good in a boat environment) and ONLY run this all my bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts