Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a short essay question. I have the opportunity to pick up an '05 (blue) for $7600 or an '03 (silver) for $5900. The '03 has less miles, but the non-usd forks, ugly wheels, and unattractive silver frame rails.

Is the '05 that much better a bike? I would like to ride the wifey around a bit occasionally, but then I see track days in my future, as well. I can live with aesthetic issues, but if the engineering is vastly improved, I'll buck up.

Anybody out there who's had both that can give me an objective comparison?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Karstar,

You are going to get many different opinions to that question on this forum, so the best advice would be to go ride them both if you can and then decide for yourself. I have not ridden both.

I have an 06 and I can tell you that I love it. I personally like the look of the shorter tail on the 05 and newer but some like the longer tail on the earlier models. I also like the newer rims. These are obviously asthetic things. As for performance some of the 05/06 have had brake issues with the lever travel. I don't think that is a problem on the 04 and earlier and it is getting fixed on most newer ones that have had the issue. I think there is a bit more hp on the new one and it is wee bit lighter. However I don't think you can go wrong either way. Me I'd pony up the 1700 bones and buy the newer one. Thats just me........

·
Registered
936 Posts
If your going 2 up alot the 02 would be a better choice, The1050 is more a one man bike, Power wise the 05 has a bit more stomp but not so much as you would go Sheeeeet, Its the whole package I think the looks and power everything about the 05 clicks for me, Try them back to back to really see which one suits you. :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I own an '02 S3 and I test rode an '06 when the Triumph demo truck visited last summer. The new one felt a bit snappier and lighter, but not enough to make me want to trade in my '02 for it.

My wife (she's 5'-8") complains about the pillion seating on my '02 for short rides - I imagine that pillion comfort would be much worse on a +'05...

The aesthetic differences are obvious and personal preference. I actually dig the new model.

My advice, take the savings from getting the '03 and spend it on performance mods to the intake & exhaust and swapping for a USD Gixxer front-end (see threads by Kuhlka & Decosse and others). You might save some money and have a bike that's more "you"...

Other things to consider:
Insurance may be cheaper on the '03
They only made silver S3's in '03 (I may be wrong on this)
There seems to be more aftermarket stuff for the +'05 than there ever was/will be for the '02-'04.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I own a '99 but I've ridden an 0-6. As previously stated, the bike does feel a bit more flickable and lighter but not a drastic difference.

I'm not a big fan of the bobbed tail body of the current bikes but I do like it better than the oversized 02-04 models.

I vote for buying the newest bike you can afford. Get the 05 if you can afford it. (but I still think the wheels look better on the older bikes!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
buy the one you can pay cash for... If you have to finance neither is a good deal. I ride an 03 and my neighbor has an 06. Except for the styling their is no difference in the ride or power . I have ridden his several times trying to convinve him to have his front brakes examined. Mine are great his are so so. The 03 with under 2000 miles would sell for about 5 k and the 05 you mention is priced at the same price an 06 leftover is ticketed minus tax and tags...Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kelley Blue Book on the 05 speedy is $7325 in excellent condition. If you could get away with the 05 for $7000 you would be in good shape. Also remember that modifications don't always add resale value.

I bought my 06 a month ago and have about four rides on it. All I can say is you won't be sorry with the 05. The bike is effortless to ride. I thought it was going to have a big hit but the power turned out to be perfectly smooth and predictable. I am so in love. :roll:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I had the pleasure of owning both models, and let me tell you they keep getting better, stronger, quicker, faster and handle way better.

The 02 S3 was a great bike it did everything I want it to do, Track, mile long wheelies, intimidate other bikes. My only complain was that the steering head bearing required a lot of frequent adjusting (yes many wheelies)

The 05 S3 does everything better, improved power delivery, handing and suspension and it wheelies a lot easier, it is also a lot better track weapon and I have not had to adjust the steering head bearing once.

They are both great bikes! Ride them both, it is up to you. You can always get the 02 now and trade it in when the new S3 arrives. Hope this helped.

BTW Welcome to RAT!

Ton Up!

:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hang out for a [fast] black one, any year.

If you would like any advice on riding the wifey around a bit I'm happy to view videos and advise on technique. :roll:

AA

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In stock form the newer 1050 is up a bit on power, but the torque is much improved. It has a very flat torque band that makes it even more effortless to ride than the 955 engines.

The newer bikes also have better suspension components.

I cannot stress this enough, ride both bikes. An hour or two spent on both should let you get a feel for them, and help you make up your mind on how to spend your money.

·
Registered
456 Posts
He didn't mention that the Asheville dealer has the blue used '05 with 5600 miles. It also includes the flyscreen, pazzo's, crg mirrors, and pitbull stands front and rear for $7595.

I don't know about the '03.

I know that they have had the '05 for several months, they might make a deal on it. I tried to buy a new '06 from them but we couldn't get together on the deal.

I had an '01 and now the '06. I would go with the 1050 again myself. The brakes are better, the transmission is better, and to me the bike feels more refined than the older one. Although from a pure fun/hooligan factor, my old bike had more personality.

I would research the histories of both bikes, and talk to previous owners. I would look them over very well and buy the one which I felt best about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-02-08 07:43, cheapbastard wrote:
05! :upthumb: One more secret people don't know about... the 05's are faster than all of the other years! :hammer: :-D
Oh Gawd! Isn't this colour is faster than that colour thingie enough? Do we have to go through it all again re vintage? :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

·
Registered
344 Posts
do you read superbike magazine(the best bike mag ever)?...almost every month they compare an older model bike with a newer one... it is usually really good, about two pages and they give their opinion on wether or not the new version is worth the money...i think that they did the s3 back in later part of 06'...its the same years you wish to compare....i don't remember the month but the final result was them picking the 05 and up models on account of the engine...they rated almost all other categories the same but they said that the new engine made it worth the money...if i can find the article i will try to post it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2007-02-08 09:11, PhilM wrote:
Why would you buy a bike you thought was ugly? For any price??
Good point, but it's really just the wheels I thought ugly, and mostly the color thereof - I could probably get them powdercoated anthracite and fix my perception.

I am at this point leaning toward the '05, for purely instant gratification reasons...it does have some goodies w/it, too.

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
$ vs brand new bike

If you can get a low mileage undamaged 02-04 Speed Triple or Daytona 955i for a lot less than a 1050, go for it. You can spend the extra cash on bolt-on stuff, the insurance will be cheaper since its an older bike, and you can start saving up for a 675 or the next big daytona instead of buying a stroked and mildly upgraded 1050 S3.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would say the black frame of the 1050s is ugly, so it just shows that looks wise it's all up to you. I've been on both, and the power difference is minimal. The handling seemed the same to me, but I'm not that good on the street. I would suggest judging by cost, looks, and condition. You obviously don't like the 955i S3 as much in the looks department. The 2k dollar cost difference would weight heavily for me, because I'm a cheapo. How do they compare in condition?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts