1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
648 Posts
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/rideanddest/0712_crup_harley_davidson_sportster_triumph_bonneville/index.html

so wich one does this guy prefer. he says that it is obvious but i cant tell. maby it is just because me (someone who likes the bonnie)
would just assume he likes the bonnie.
what do you all think.

cant wait pick up my new 09 in less than 24 hours. i am freaking out. i know i wont be able to sleep tonight. :eek: :Dance02: :)
Congrats on your new Bonnie!
You're gonna love it's EFI.

Interesting to note the major points compared between the Sportster and Bonneville in the article.
EFI being considered superior to the carbs on the Bonnie and also it has tubeless tires. Aside from the aesthetics spoke wheels offer, tubeless tires are a pronounced advantage in terms of safety and reliability. The EFI factor is a mute point as of 2009 though with both bikes offering EFI.
So, in comparison, the Bonneville is faster, stops quicker and handles better. The Sportster has tubeless tires.
I prefer Triumph's image over HD's too.
The choice seems clear to me... ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is kind of what i thought he ment. most people dont realize that a lot of these articals are bias.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Okay - I looked it up, the Bonneville is 100 lbs lighter and has 30 more horses!

The Bonneville weighs 451 lbs, the Sportster weighs 550 .

The Bonneville has 66 horsepower, the Sportster has 36 horsepower.

Bonneville wins.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buying a bike in the middle of winter sux. it is like buying a box of rubbers, 2 months before your date witht the girl. LOL:D

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Oh, couple more points,

The Bonneville motor is balanced and smooth all the way up to 8k RPMS

The Sportster vibrates and it gets worse over 4k RPMS

The Bonnevile handles great.

The Sportster handles.....pretty decent.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I had a nickel for every thread comparing Sportsters to Bonnevilles, I'd have, well, a lot of nickels. This is a subject close to my heart considering I traded in my Sportster for a Bonnie.

Forget the articles, the only way to decide is to take each for a test ride. Only you will know which bike suits you best. I had my Sportster for two and a half years, and one ride on a Bonnie convinced me to trade it in. In terms of quality, design, and heritage, they're both superb bikes. I love my Bonnie, but I'll never put down someone who likes the Sportster more.

BTW, if you are the type of person who cares about what others think of you, there is an attitude among some HD riders that the Sportster is a chick's bike. I'm not one of them, and no one ever said it to my face. On the other hand, if you ride a Bonnie, be prepared to deal with people who stop to admire your bike and/or tell you stories about Bonnies they owned 30 years ago.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Where I live Sportsters are considered a "chic bike".
Even the hard core harley riders put them down.
Didn't Sonny Barger ride a Sportster? (rhetorical question) Call him a chick X chopper...

The only people I've ever heard refer to Sporty's as "chick bikes" are "Rubs" who brag about how much money they have, and moronic HD salesmen who are trying to up-sell un-educated buyers into bigger more expensive bikes.

LOTS of "hard core" bike guys are still ridin' around on Sporty's. Call one of them a chick, and watch how quick you'll get your a$$ whipped.

Like the Bonneville, the Sportster is a good bike, with a long tradition. Ride them both, and
decide which one you like best. I chose the Bonneville, but YOU may like the HD better.

Good luck.

J

·
Registered
648 Posts
Didn't Sonny Barger ride a Sportster? (rhetorical question) Call him a chick X chopper...
J
Don't jump on MY ass.
Do you actually read what people post here?
I didn't say I call them chic bikes.
I said harley riders in Calif. call them chic bikes.
Personally, I don't like ANY harleys, Sportsters or otherwise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I hate posers

Pretending to look down on small bore bikes is the hallmark of the true poser.

Its always the poser idiot with no bike or worse, no balls who walks up to the owner of a small bore bike and makes some idiotic comment. The true rider appreciates all sizes and types of bikes.

I was riding wih my 17 year old son last summer. he has his class mj license (motorcyle junior) and he rides my wife's GS250 which by the way is in excellent original condition with 6000 miles. Anyways we are stopped on an overlook and some middle aged punk with a beater car and a leather jacket makes a comment about he wouldn't ride a 250. We just laughed at him.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pretending to look down on small bore bikes is the hallmark of the true poser.

Its always the poser idiot with no bike or worse, no balls who walks up to the owner of a small bore bike and makes some idiotic comment. The true rider appreciates all sizes and types of bikes.
I agree 100%
I own and ride 5 different street bikes, the newest and smallest being my '09 Bonneville. I didn't buy it to impress anyone (but myself). I find on rides of less than 300 miles (when riding solo) it's a great machine and lots of fun. If I was concerned about what idiots think I'd be out all the time on one of my other bikes.
Those that ride to impress others are not real enthusiasts and not any concern of mine.
I've been riding 48 years (without any breaks :cool:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't jump on MY ass.
Do you actually read what people post here?
I didn't say I call them chic bikes.
I said harley riders in Calif. call them chic bikes.
Personally, I don't like ANY harleys, Sportsters or otherwise :rolleyes:
Do I read what people post here? Yes, but apparently YOU can't read what YOU wrote:

"Where I live, Sportster's are considered a chic bike." ~Xchoppers

Comes off as your opinion, though you may have intended to say:

"Harley riders in Cali. call them chic bikes."

Either way, it's a moronic ideology. (And no, that's not an insult directed towards you.)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Do I read what people post here? Yes, but apparently YOU can't read what YOU wrote:

"Where I live, Sportster's are considered a chic bike." ~Xchoppers

Comes off as your opinion, though you may have intended to say:

"Harley riders in Cali. call them chic bikes."

Either way, it's a moronic ideology. (And no, that's not an insult directed towards you.)
Not the first time you've attacked me on this forum... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

The only people I've ever heard refer to Sporty's as "chick bikes" are "Rubs" who brag about how much money they have, and moronic HD salesmen who are trying to up-sell un-educated buyers into bigger more expensive bikes.

LOTS of "hard core" bike guys are still ridin' around on Sporty's. Call one of them a chick, and watch how quick you'll get your a$$ whipped.

Like the Bonneville, the Sportster is a good bike, with a long tradition. Ride them both, and
decide which one you like best. I chose the Bonneville, but YOU may like the HD better.

Good luck.

J
"Chic" is pronounced "sheek", which means highly stylish, etc.

·
29,948 Posts
I think the term "attacked" is a bit strong. It's hardly an "attack". Everybody take a deep breath and chill out.

Seems to me that it's the 1200 sportie that is most frequently compared to the Bonnie, as performance wise they are closer. Apparently the 1200 has a lot more ft lbs, so it get's off the mark quicker, but the Bonnie quickly catches up. The Bonnie easily out performs the 883. Apart from that it's a matter of which one you like more I guess. Can't say that it bothers me that much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Husband and Wife - Bonneville vs. Sportster

My wife rode an 883 Low and I rode a Bonneville - until last Monday night - when some lowlife broke into our garage and made off with both bikes. We are looking for replacements - she will go with the Sportster again, and I will get a Thruxton or an SE. We were very happy with what we had...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts