Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using a throat mic with one of the assorted communication systems available?

I've tried using an ear piece with foam covered boom mic attached to a motorola walkie-talkie, but the noise from the win after about 40km/h is too loud (and I have a full face helmet). Throat mics aren't supposed to pick up wind, so I was thinking they might work really well.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Autocom have now brought out a wifi system. They are one of the best makers of coms systems.

I've been waiting for the wireless system to come out for a few months now and will be checking them out soon as we need to buy one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've just started looking into this because I want to get a good comms system.

In my dispatching days I just used a motorola radio that sat on the shoulder. For town driving this was ok (although everyone can hear unless I wore an ear piece), but in the world of modern comms I figure there should be a pretty good bit of technology out there.

First thing so far I have discovered is that I am probably going to have to invest in a pricy low noise helmet. My experiments with trying to listen to an ipod while riding failed due to wind noise if I dont wear ear plugs. I have my ipod set on low volume (nothing above 60db in ear) which would be a must for any comms system.

Thinking about a flip top, but not really fussed - must read some reviews to find out if they are any good.

Ear pieces must be comfortable so no bruising of the ear. I wear glasses and the stems are painful when removing ones helmet over 20 times on a long trip. So the design needs to handle the ear piece not falling out when I put the lid on and glasses being worn. I am not fussed with music input or phone support (I hate distractions when riding as I cant concentrate on the road).

The mic should have noise suppresison and be voice activated. I have had in-ear mics for a phone (but it suffered from wind noise and required charging) - which reminds me - I hate having to charge devices - so most of the system should run off bike electrics.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Autocom have different ear pieces. The one I have used was flat and fitted into the recess of my helmet, very comfortable and they do different kinds of mic's too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a Caberg Just Speak system which is available for some of their helmets ( I have it in a Justsimo GT Flip helmet). It is good as it is purpose built for the helmet and is fully integrated. The mike is a boom mike that is held in position by a groove in the chin piece. The ear piece is incorporated into the cheek pads. The actual electronics fit at the back between the shell and the polystyrene molding. Being Blue tooth it provides a wireless intercom and can be linked to your mobile phone. There is a button built into the side of the helmet to switch on\off and control your mobile phone. Quite good clear sound, it is affected a bit by wind noise but as it is a flip helmet isn't too bad.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Check out the Starcom 1 system before you purchase, and you will be glad you did. Wind noise is automatically compensated for. The mic attaches to the front of your full face helmet with velcro, just in front of your mouth. I was expecting a phone call from one of my kids, so I plugged the cell phone into the Starcom 1 and set the phone to auto answer. When they called I was on the road doing 75 mph and listening to my Ipod through the Starcom 1. The Starcom 1 system automatically muted the music when the call came in and my kid could not tell that I was on the bike. He did realize something was different because he said my cell phone sounded a lot clearer than he has ever heard it sound. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts