Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm STOKED. I'm picking up my new-to-me 2004 Thruxton 900 soon, and I know there's been some sort of airbox mod.... and while I've modded the hell out of a few Honda Hawk GT 's over the years, this is my first Triumph.

So, for those of you with carbureted Thruxtons... what are the most common, go-to mods for performance?

Preferred air filter setup?

Best jetting for OEM pipes?

What fork spring is everybody using? What's a decent upgrade over the stock shocks? I'm looking for adjustability and the best bang for my buck, here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Air box removal, take your pic, British Customs or NewBonneville are two choices. Slip ons or full exhaust, again, loads to choose from, pic what you like the best.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the bike is stock then it sounds like a sewing machine. First things first.... Triumphs need to sound proper. New cans. I have Norman Hyde Togas but there are others.
Really don't start drilling holes in the oem exhaust baffles just save up and get a proper exhaust. When people stop to admire your Triumph they'll want to hear it to, my NH Togas always gets nodding approval.
Of course you have to open the airbox and rejet....search function is your friend.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the airbox mod's already been done, and it's been rejetted... but I don't know the details. I would've thought they'd have used different cans but they look stock to me...

I haven't heard it yet but, yes, it MUST sound proper!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Suggest you take it slow, get to know the bike, take baby steps..., and "fix" what's "broken. Plenty people here happy to spend YOUR $$$. :D

If you make radical changes, you'll never know what you bought or why it isn't doing what you expect. Just my :2cents

Reactions: dagus

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a sneaking suspicion that the previous owner who's traded it in to the dealer has already done all the "right" mods. The ones I can see are nice, all stuff I'd planned to do myself -- fender eliminator, signal brackets, miniature signals, some sort of air filter mod. I'm just curious what the common wisdom around here is, so I can compare what I've got to different opinions.

The PO is also the original owner, and apparently loved it to death, only selling in order to buy the new Thruxton R. I bet he's a member here...

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you say "some sort of air box mod"... If you take your side covers off, is there nothing but a big cone filter hanging off of each carb? This would indicate the common "air box removal kit" (ARK). As for the cans, there are a couple of slip ons that look identical to stock. Probably the stock pipes have a much narrower opening than aftermarket ones is one way to tell.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Good chance the cans aren't OE, would have been almost pointless to ditch the airbox w/o ditching the OE exhaust. If the appear they are, then they're proly Triumph replacement mufflers, referred to as TORs (Triumph Off Road). If so they'll be marked "not for road use". They're somewhere between OE and good aftermarket cans. For fork springs, I'm using stock springs with Ricor Intimidators and they work tons better than the progressive springs I tried prior. Regarding shocks, anything is better than the weak OE shocks. Lots of info on aftermarket shocks in the sticky at the top of this page. I have Ikons and while they're far from the best, they're also far from the most expensive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Having owned and modded Hawk GTs and a T100 i can say they both respond to the same mods in the same way (carbed Bonnies anyway ). Rip out the air box , free flowing pipes , rejet , upgrade rear shocks , progressive front springs .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:smile2:
Having owned and modded Hawk GTs and a T100 i can say they both respond to the same mods in the same way (carbed Bonnies anyway ). Rip out the air box , free flowing pipes , rejet , upgrade rear shocks , progressive front springs .
AWESOME. >:)

Thanks man! Much appreciated. If I go for the Progressive springs, what shocks are a good complement to that? I don't want to totally break the bank but if the payoff for going crazy on great shocks is worth it, I'll just wait a while and go for the good stuff. If there's really no discernable difference, I'll get whatever's a step up from Ikon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you say "some sort of air box mod"... If you take your side covers off, is there nothing but a big cone filter hanging off of each carb? This would indicate the common "air box removal kit" (ARK). As for the cans, there are a couple of slip ons that look identical to stock. Probably the stock pipes have a much narrower opening than aftermarket ones is one way to tell.
I haven't had the side covers off as it's still sitting in the showroom waiting for service, but it looks like cone K&N's in there. Must be the ARK.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
:smile2:

AWESOME. >:)

Thanks man! Much appreciated. If I go for the Progressive springs, what shocks are a good complement to that? I don't want to totally break the bank but if the payoff for going crazy on great shocks is worth it, I'll just wait a while and go for the good stuff. If there's really no discernable difference, I'll get whatever's a step up from Ikon.
You might already have them. :D

If your bike has Ikons now..., stop there unless you are looking for a stiff track setup. The chassis would hardly benefit from a pair of three-way $1,800 Ohlins. It's just a lovable, overweight collection of water pipe. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might already have them. :D

If your bike has Ikons now..., stop there unless you are looking for a stiff track setup. The chassis would hardly benefit from a pair of three-way $1,800 Ohlins. It's just a lovable, overweight collection of water pipe. ;)
This is straight-up wisdom, thank you!

I was wondering exactly that, but didn't want to offend anyone... :wink2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swung by the dealership to follow up on the new chain and sprockets we're waiting on... found out a few things!

- the shocks are Hagon
- the pipes are "Off Roads" from the Triumph catalog, jetted to match, with cone filters
- no idea what's inside the forks, hoping it's GVE's and Race Tech springs, or similar

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I also have an '04 that came to me with pipes and airbox upgrades already in place. The best bang for the buck performance upgrades for me were:

- F3 fork stantions or cartridge emulators/single rate springs in the front end. I did the emulators, but later went to the F3 fork tubes and paid again. The F3 upgrade is better - especially if you go 17" on the front wheel - but the emulators are still a huge improvement.

- YSS shocks in back. You already have upgraded shocks, so this can go to the bottom of the list.

- Going to CR (or FCR) slide carbs. Huge, huge, huge change in the way the bike responds to throttle inputs/adds at least 5 RWHP.

- Cams. Either early 790 cams or 813 regrinds of your 865 cams. Another huge change in how the bike makes power up top. I did not lose anything in the midrange, so it was truly an improvement w/o trade off. Another 5 RWHP.

- ignitor reprogramming. The addition of more advance and upping the rev limiter setting brings power/more RPMs to the table.

- Cast wheels. Both the triumph mags and the F3 mags are significantly lighter than the wire wheels. The 17" front lowers the gyroscopic effect/improves turn in greatly, so you get that benefit as well.

Enjoy your new machine. The TORS are okay pipes until you start opening up the machine to higher RPMs...then they are going to be the cork in the works. Yeah, its a slippery slope and the more changes you make, the more you need to pay attention to the details of how the upgrades work together/limit things.

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts