Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the one grip I've had about the Triumphs is how long it takes to get parts for the bikes that many of the JAP bikes you can get same day or within 1-2 business days. I know these bikes even with low miles have parts that are prone to failure. Especially as these bikes are aging. I guess what I want to do here is get a recommendations of what its just nice to have extra parts, bits, and pieces if you don't have a parts bike lying around ? I'm going to start this off what I've needed thus far and would love to see what others have to add.

For me I'd recommend the following:
-Water Pump
-Metric Hardware nut and bolt set
-Crush washers for the oil drain plug
-Fuel Fitting O-rings
-Fuses (nothings failed on me as of yet but there are nice to have on hand just in case)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You probably won't need a water pump again any time soon; I'd write that off as bad luck.

You can reuse copper crush washers if you anneal them, and usually a couple times even if you don't. Aluminum is much harder to anneal. (Or maybe I'm just gun shy after having a very hot aluminum washer essentially explode in my kitchen...)

Can't argue with the metric hardware kit. I really need to replenish my selection of stainless M6x1.0 socket heads.

I also need a couple of 5A fuses; it's the only size I've blown and I only had one extra!

Fuel fitting o-rings are something everyone who takes their tank off should have.

Here's what I have in my saddlebag, parts-wise:

-Brake lever
-Clutch lever
-Brake pedal
-Shifter
-Footpegs
-Clip-on

The ones I have in my saddlebag are all ugly and bent or rashed or otherwise not pretty, but are in usable shape. Nothing I could get any cash for from eBay, but good enough to get me home if I find myself in the middle of nowhere with a slightly damaged bike.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
78 Posts
My garage, more or less:

-Metric nut/bolt kit reasonably stocked, both with high tensile and stainless (kept separate, of course)
-oil filter and oil
-General fluids
-Lots and lots and lots and lots of tools that no matter how many i have i never seem to have the one the next job needs

I dont keep any trumpy specific parts on hand though, except the filters (and even they are K&N).

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have a spare clutch cable ty-raped along the side of the operating cable. I've done this since my dirt bike days.

When I ordered another OEM spare cable it took over a week to come in.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I keep an eye out for the following:-

Wing Mirror.
Fairings (they are getting harder to find and Triumph are no longer holding some of the colours)

Speedo Sender unit (easily damaged by hamfisted tyre fitters)

Radiator (too many stones)

Front indicators (those lenses don't stay attached and you have to buy the whole unit)

Headlamp unit (very expensive and if the stone misses the radiator, it will get the lights!!)

Anything else is really bad luck, however, if you still have the original Regulator/rectifier I would look for the replacment unit discussed in a thread by DECosse in here, or start hunting for a spare stator unit (02-04 year) and R/R

Other than that I think you are good

Rexx

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep an eye out for the following:-

Wing Mirror.
Fairings (they are getting harder to find and Triumph are no longer holding some of the colours)

Speedo Sender unit (easily damaged by hamfisted tyre fitters)

Radiator (too many stones)

Front indicators (those lenses don't stay attached and you have to buy the whole unit)

Headlamp unit (very expensive and if the stone misses the radiator, it will get the lights!!)

Anything else is really bad luck, however, if you still have the original Regulator/rectifier I would look for the replacment unit discussed in a thread by DECosse in here, or start hunting for a spare stator unit (02-04 year) and R/R

Other than that I think you are good

Rexx
This all makes sense and yes another reason to find spare parts especially as it will only be harder to locate them in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts