Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to AccuWeather we here in East Ohio will be coming out of the freezer starting next Tuesday. With highs in the upper 30s to as much as the mid to upper 40s some days it should feel a lot like Summer to those of us who have been averaging from below zero to highs in the teens for the past weeks! What a blessing that will be if true!

I keep records of all my winter rides, and in the last five years this has been the longest spell that I have been unable to ride in the winter around here. I last rode the bikes on January 11.

We now have 10 inches of snow, and sandwiched in there is a one inch layer of ice, so it will be a while for all that to melt and for the slop created to evaporate. Still, by a week from today there is a good chance I will be on the road again.

Anyone joining me here in the frigid Upper MidWest and the East? When those roads clear lets all get out there!!!

Monte :-D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Monte, same deal around here, looks like the weather will be getting in the 40's within the next week :bday: On March 10th in Milwaukee the first ride of the season is the Frozen Snot Ride and I hope by then the roads are cleared of salt and the temp is at least above 35.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Monte, it's been about that long here too. The day I topped off the fuel tank in anticipation of the deep freeze I should have ridden just a few more miles...

With any luck we might get some rain to wash the salt and gravel off the roads just before the temperature rises. Ride safe guys!
:cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here in Baltimore we're going to move out of the low 20s for a high to low 50s by next Tuesday. . .

thus, my Goodwood Green '07 Bonnie will be back on the road. . .

ahhhhhhh, spring. . .now if only the weather will just not revert back to shivering winter temps.

ride on

rick

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That's what we get for fixing global warming. We're suppose to get another inch or two tonight. Looks like just more time to stare at her in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Monte, I sure hope the weather finally breaks. It has also been the longest I have been out of the saddle for a long time. At least I was able to use the cold weather to get the valves set, oil changed, brakes relined and refilled, and the other 12K stuff. I have new tires to put on next week and I should be ready for another year. I am really looking forward to rolling down the road again, even if it is only in the 30's. :cool:

Rich

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it doesn't snow too much I'm headed to Joe's in Dayton tomorrow to look at some Bonneville's. I've had five Harley's and been wanting a Bonny since about 1969. Aint gettin' any younger the last time I looked!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, TT, I hope you get to go. That's a long time for an itch to go unscratched.

My first new Bonnie was a '68. I had been bitten by the Bonnie bug much earlier but didn't have the bread to swing it. But by the summer of '67 I had finally put enough money in the cookie jar to buy that first one.

Never looked back; been grinning ever since.............

Scratch that itch!

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
On 2007-02-16 15:26, OhioTT wrote:
If it doesn't snow too much I'm headed to Joe's in Dayton tomorrow to look at some Bonneville's. I've had five Harley's and been wanting a Bonny since about 1969. Aint gettin' any younger the last time I looked!
Hey TT bought my 03 t100 from Joes very nice people to deal with.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Glad to see all of the Ohio riders posting. Hope when the riding season begins we can all connect somehow. I think that Ohiorider Bob organizes rides. He sent me a pm about it last fall, but it was erased during the recent unpleasantness.

raproe-I see you ride a Poulan Pro. I've got an 05 Black Sears Craftsman, 22 horse....wanna race?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rmak: there is a group of us we call the Ohio Packless Rats. I organized the first ride last spring; drJay did the middle one in the summer and dustin did one later in the season. You can look in the Rides forum for a lot of details on those rides.

Bob and I are going to organize the first one for '07, probably in May. We'll keep you all posted as the time gets a little closer.

Monte

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hi Monte! I just parked my jeep on TOP of 4 inches of snow. Frozen solid here, like a pond....

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You don't wanna know how nice it was here today in San Diego.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Monte - the freezer is back in action here in Hudson today. More snow. We should get together late March/early April and lay out the plans for the PacklessRatRide in May.

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
I hear you... my Bonnie has been in the shed for over three weeks now. That's the longest we've been apart. :(

I'm getting the withdrawal shakes bad. Looking forward to above freezing temps. Maybe by the end of this week we'll be back together again. :-D

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2007-02-17 16:41, rmak wrote:
raproe-I see you ride a Poulan Pro. I've got an 05 Black Sears Craftsman, 22 horse....wanna race?
You have 5 horses over me but I'm not afraid. Let's wait until we have the snowplows off and the mowers back on. Once the grass gets green and tall again you can bring your Black Sears over to my yard and we can race back and forth with the mowers going. It usually takes me about 3 hours to mow, but I bet that Sears can do it a whole lot faster.

Rich

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
LOL! A tempting challenge, but I'll have to pass. I do like a man who takes pride in his ride. POULANS ROCK! Mow to live, live to mow.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It was actually so nice here in Vermont on Saturday (sunny, temps in the low 30s, felt like spring!) that I dug my Honda enduro bike out of the snowbank it was half-buried in and went for a short ride. Roads were mostly clear by that point, thanks to efficient plowing and Saturday's warm sun. Only ended up riding around town a bit (including hooning around in a snowy parking lot for a while), but it was the taste of riding I needed after five weeks off the bike. Not much longer now before we'll be able to start riding regularly again.

The best part was all the looks I kept getting from cars driving by -- half utterly astonished, the other half honking, waving thumbs-up, grinning, etc.

--mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts