Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read around and I have to be honest I keep bouncing back and fourth between carbs and efi. I think I have really been persuaded toward carbs as I like that the thrux is a cafe bike and that lifestyle is what drew me in. I have read about all the tuning and modding for efi with exhaust, air box removal, re mapping, power commanders, etc. I have found a 2008 that is stock. If i do all the similar things, how would I go about tuning the carbs. Would I need to rejet them? I've rebuild the carbs on my 70' cb350 but I haven't done anything to try and get more performance out of them. I guess my question is if im looking to make this thing a mean son of a gun what will I be doing to the carbs? :cool:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Rejetting will be needed, and the size of the jets will vary obviously depending on what has been done.

Exhaust work doesn't require as much rejetting as exhaust plus air box removal does for example.

To be honest, I wish my bike was carbed as well, as I'm used to tuning carbs myself (had many a rough night with the sidedraft Zenith-Strombergs on my TR-4A lol) and I like the simplicity of being able to tune mechanically.

The benefit of EFI though is a more precise tune over the entire powerband though. Plus, just doing exhaust I was qouted 25 bucks for a remap at my dealer which isn't bad at all.

It's all personal preference really, as they both make pretty much the same power out of the box and both can be made to perform equally well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you know what size jets to use after modding certain parts of the bike? And where would you get those?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I upgraded using mostly British Custom parts. Predators, air injection, K&N filters, etc. Sean at BC was able to suggest jetting, and he was pretty much spot on. I suspect the other suppliers would be able to do the same.
Redhawk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Personally for a Thruxton I prefer carbs, but either one will be just as much fun and give you the same opportunity to tune and play with. Since you're looking at used bikes, it's more a matter of finding a bike that has what you're looking for (mileage, condition, mods, price, etc.) Good luck either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts