Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Riders,

Thinking of buying a Thruxton for my second bike, but after reading the recent article about the Bonneville SE and the rest of the modern classics line, I have a couple questions.

1: If you have ridden both a Bonneville and a Truxton, can you make a comfort, performance comparison for us?

2: How comfortable is riding the Thruxton? Does the riding position and seat become uncomfortable after a while? Where?

3: I know the Thruxton has been raised in the back a couple inches. Has anyone lowered there's in the back?

4: How do you get the black gaiters on your forks????

Thanks!

JP

·
Registered
213 Posts
How tall are you? And are you looking for 2009 or prior year Thruxton?

For example, I ride Bonnie (07) with Thrux Gel seat, which is taller than normal, although I'm only 5'4". I ride hours straight without no pain at all.

My friend is 5'7" and riding clip handle Thruxton, and I must say, he looks all stretched out when I see him riding. I hopped on 09 Thrux with bar handles and I felt quite comfortable so 09/-08 will make huge difference on Thrux.

On the other hand, another friend of mine is 6'2" and he is getting the foot pegs altered to have more leg room.

Probably stating your height, inseam and Thrux year would get you better info. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Decker,

I have an '07 Thruxton with the stock seat and clip on's. I LOVE riding this bike! The position does get a bit uncomfortable for me after an hour or so, but not too bad. I feel it mostly in my wrists after a while.

With that said though, I love how I feel in that riding position in terms of control and handling. It feels like I'm riding the bike, NOT the other way 'round. The Thruxton just feels like an extension of my body so that is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Keep in mind, if you plan on doing long distance on the Thruxton the clip on bars may not be for you. Consider getting an '09 with the less aggressive bars or an aftermarket clip on replacement kit for an '08 or earlier. Or perhaps the more neutral riding position of a Bonnie would suit you better.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts