Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of building a street scrambler or tracker from my 67' Bonneville frame and engine, and am looking for ideas on how to clean the bike up for a better look. One of the things that I like is having the underseat area open. This would be easier with an OIF, but I came across this 60's TR6 where a custom split tank has been made - with oil on one side and gas on the other allowing the original oil tank to be removed. Just wondered what folks think of the idea of having warm oil next to the gas ? Also are there any other options to relocate the oil tank to give it more of an open look?

Here is the full article about this bike

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
With a suitable insulator it might work out. If no insulator, the fuel will get warm and the oil will possibly be overcooled. That much capacity of the tank and being out in fresh breeze will cool the oil down far too much.

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
Someone was flogging a mid 60's tank on eBay (uk) a while back and it had been modified to hold oil and fuel.
Personally I'd maybe add a big tube to the frame to replicate the oif one. ? It does a good job in the uk of cooling. Possibly in the states you could cope with a smaller tank but an oil cooler?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Dave. I see a lot of custom Japanese bikes with a clear triangle under the seat like this one, so I need to learn where they have relocated their oil tanks - they cant all be wet sump? The idea of a pipe may work - although a tube to hold 6 pints will be pretty large :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
KTM super duke
Aprilia bikes
Pre 1970 Honda CB750
CRF240/450
Some Harley Davidsons
All dry sump—-I am now struggling to think of any more. Most are wet sump.

oil in frame

Regards
Peg.

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
OiF bikes hold 4 uk (4.8 USA) pints
A lot of anti OiF people complain that the oil tank "can't be enough" but the frame acts as such a good cooler that it can take ages to get hot. I think Rambo often says that he can stick his finger in the oil after a long ride. Obviously it depends on climate but you might get away with 4 USA pints and a bit of plumbing. That way the tube could be narrower than the 3" on the OiF
(If you were mocking up, a uk scaffold tube is 48mm (2")
Lifted from off the net, a rickman...
"oil bearing frame is made from high-quality 531 reynolds-tube with 32 mm outer diameter and 1.5 mm wall thickness"

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
My ‘55 Harley flathead had a split tank, two separate tanks that each bolted to the frame. The fuel side was larger capacity because it bulged into a cavity in the oil tank, but there was room between them . A pretty cool set up and there was probably room to insulate between the two.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Think about where you could hide an oil supply. Under the engine ? In a tail section ? In the frame ? Made from a pipe running down the front tube ? If you can fabricate complicated shapes maybe between frame and rear tire . I saw a dry sump bike with 3 oil coolers that the owner said had enough capacity and cooling that he didn’t need a tank, just a place to fill the oil. He worked at a radiator shop and made them himself..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some good ideas here - Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. I still like the split (or siamesed) tank idea so will talk to some local fabricators to see what they think is feasible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts