Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bonneville SE 2012. Not sure if this is even worth mentioning:
The right hand side exhaust pipe has burned a beautiful blue colour but the left has stayed as new?
Not sure if one cylinder perhaps burning to lean or the other just getting to hot?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a Bonneville SE 2012. Not sure if this is even worth mentioning:
The right hand side exhaust pipe has burned a beautiful blue colour but the left has stayed as new?
Not sure if one cylinder perhaps burning to lean or the other just getting to hot?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Cheers
Exhaust pipe or header pipe?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've found it's usually its the other way around. The left ends up more discoloured than the right.

A non invasive check using the diagnostic and test sections within TuneEcu might help put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those.
It is the Header Pipe and I must now confess I have been away for 4 weeks (2 to go) and I couldbe wrong with which side went Blue. Must also admit that I think it looks pretty good!!!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
If it's a new bike (which sounds like it is) then this is nothing to worry about. The other side will "catch up". Same thing happened to my 2012 Thruxton with one side blueing while the other stayed the same. By 800miles they were virtually identical. I can't explain why but I have noticed no ill effects. I agree with the other posters, I like the blue tint. Adds to the retro look of the bike.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Isn't the blue-ing of the headers due to the excess heat caused by the exhaust gases being oxygenated by the Secondary Air Injection (SAI)?

Many owners of the T100 family of twins remove the SAI for this reason as well as the excessive (and sometimes annoying) 'popping' it causes. It was for this latter reason I removed it from my SIII.

Just a thought...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts