Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a RAT in Colorado Springs or Denver? If so, please identify yourself. I just bought my R3 Classic and am looking forward to some informational exchanges with other R3 riders in particular, but also RAT in general.

·
Registered
6 Posts
White Tiger 1050.
Trax Boxes, SW Moto crash bars.
Like long trips. Camp. PNW, BC, Ak, etc.
Based in Evergreen.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
For anyone interested...yes there is a very active RAT group in Denver. It is sponsored by Erico Motosports in downtown Denver. It is a very active group with monthly meetings and organized rides throughout the year. For anyone interested swing by Erico and they will get you hooked up...

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I am here in Denver with Bob (68T120R). As he mentions, we *do* have an active group in the Denver area. My wife and I are both members, though she doesn't *yet* own a Triumph. It is a planned purchase for this summer though.

I do have to ask though, would it be petty of me to mention that Colorado is not actually a Upper Midwest State, but is in fact a Western US State? :D

A proud citizen of the WESTERN US <g>

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
I am here in Denver with Bob (68T120R). As he mentions, we *do* have an active group in the Denver area. My wife and I are both members, though she doesn't *yet* own a Triumph. It is a planned purchase for this summer though.

I do have to ask though, would it be petty of me to mention that Colorado is not actually a Upper Midwest State, but is in fact a Western US State? :D

A proud citizen of the WESTERN US <g>

I have a always wondered myself Sean why Colorado was grouped with the Upper Midwest Region....The map you posted clearly defines where Colorado is positioned in the lower 48 states. Perhaps whoever is in charge of designating these RAT groupings could put Colorado where it rightfully belongs. But regarding the Triumph guys in the Springs I would encourage them to inquire with EricoMotorsports about getting hooked up with our EMRAT group. I know there is a ride being scheduled up Pikes Peak this summer but it would be great to have these guys/gals join us on other rides as well...New Mexico being one and of course Triumph in the Rockies another...

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I have a always wondered myself Sean why Colorado was grouped with the Upper Midwest Region....The map you posted clearly defines where Colorado is positioned in the lower 48 states. Perhaps whoever is in charge of designating these RAT groupings could put Colorado where it rightfully belongs. But regarding the Triumph guys in the Springs I would encourage them to inquire with EricoMotorsports about getting hooked up with our EMRAT group. I know there is a ride being scheduled up Pikes Peak this summer but it would be great to have these guys/gals join us on other rides as well...New Mexico being one and of course Triumph in the Rockies another...

Bob

I recall seeing a thread about that once on another site, where someone asked the question "Why do so many people seem to think Colorado is a Midwestern State." The most common answer was along the lines of "Anyone who thinks Colorado is a Midwestern State, has probably never been spent any quality time here."

Colorado is different, both geographically and culturally than what is considered Upper Midwest. I believe that we have more in common with our Western surrounding states of NM, WY, AZ, UT than we do with the midwestern states of KS, MO and even more so IL, WI, MN, OH.

Of course I was mostly joking and not trying to be snobbish or whatever. I didn't PM the mods and point it out to them or anything else like that, but hey.. regardless if you call Colorado South West, West or perhaps more accurately a Mountain State, one thing we definitely are not, is Upper Midwest. No matter how you slice the map :)

That said.....

But regarding the Triumph guys in the Springs I would encourage them to inquire with EricoMotorsports about getting hooked up with our EMRAT group. I know there is a ride being scheduled up Pikes Peak this summer but it would be great to have these guys/gals join us on other rides as well...New Mexico being one and of course Triumph in the Rockies another...
+1 to this :)

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Perhaps whoever included Colorful Colorado in with the Upper Midwest states needs a geography lesson...hahaha None of those Upper Midwest states have mountains...hills yes but mountains no. We have the Rocky Mountain Range with what, 60 or more fourteeners?? I would agree Sean that Colorado would be better suited in the Southwestern Region based on how it is currently arranged. And yes Sean, more appropriately Colorado should be in a Mountain State Region as you posted if one was to be created. But Upper Midwest we are not!!!! Just sayin...

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
We have the Rocky Mountain Range with what, 60 or more fourteeners??
Bob
Yeah, like 53-55 "official" 14'ers, depending on who you ask, and 5-7 "unofficial ones." They are "unofficial" because they don't have enough of a rise between connecting peaks for climbers to count them or something like that. But yes, l don't climb so I call it 60 :)

I was kind of half joking when I posted that message, but maybe we should seriously see if we can get moved, or see if they will start a 4th section?

Nothing against the folks in the Upper Mid-West. Fine folks, nice people, nice States, nice places to visit ... We just aren't one of you :)

I will change my signature <g>

BTW Bob, that wasn't you I saw blasting down Titan Road about 12:15 yesterday was it? It was someone on a black Bonnie, but I had a big truck in front of me and didn't get a good look. I am guessing not because the SOB didn't wave back! LOL

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Yup...that was me and I snubbed you. I don't freakin wave to anyone anymore...seems like that is customary for Triumph riders. At least on this forum...hahaha Just kidding of course Sean. Nope...wasn't me. I was riding but on my 68 T120R seasoning a new top end. Maybe if the mod's are following this thread they might see fit to arrange proper regions. At least put Colorado in a more approriate region than Upper Midwest. I guess we will see. After this crap weather moves out this weekend let's ride...hit me up. I'm around...be safe.

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Yeah, saw two black Bonnie's out yesterday, the one on Titan and another in Bear Creek Canyon. I just did a little jaunt trying to test the positioning of a Contour Camera. I want to use it for a couple of the club and group rides. Found I had it aiming too low, but that was what the run was for. Better to find out now, instead of when i am counting on it right?

Yeah, we need to get out and ride. I want to try to find some time for some camping as well. It may be tough this year, but we will see. I think we are going out to Sara's family cabins in the UP next year though. Any interest in riding out there with us?

Some folks were talking about going to Estes and riding around there this weekend, it looks like that is scrubbed, same with my plans for Sunday to ride out to Sphinx Park and grab some photos. (oh well).

Heading to Nebraska for that Murder Mystery Dinner at the Gander Inn the 21st and 22nd. Yeah, going to earn some geek cred, but it should be fun... I hope... LOL. At least I hope it isn't Murder Mysery <g>

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I have brought up the issue of Colorado being part of the upper midwest in the Rat Mod lounge. I will get back to everyone with an answer or solution when i get a reply (it could be a long time).

Thanks! We are not really stressing it, other than I changed my signature as sort of a joke. We haven't gone as far as bugging or harassing any mods over it. But whenever someone does see fit, we would like to be placed in a more appropriate geographical region <g>

If they don't wan't to re-align to create a Mountain States RAT <awesome!> then at least putting us in the Southwest would be more appropriate than Upper Midwest :)

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Hey DarlingRat...thanks for looking in to this. I agree with Sean that Colorado would be more appropriately located in the current Southwest Region but if there was a proper realignment of regions Colorado would be in the Mountain Region...Thanks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Upper Midwest???

If by upper they mean high in altitude...
Colorado should be Mountain, or Southwest for sure!

Denver rider here. :)
Just got it 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
If by upper they mean high in altitude...
Colorado should be Mountain, or Southwest for sure!

Denver rider here. :)
Just got it 2 weeks ago.
I am not sure that Highest Point in the "Midwest" is really what they intended when they put us here, but maybe that was the intent. Otherwise it is beyond me, and likely the rest of us here, why we were placed into the RAT Upper Midwest grouping.

RAT-Mountain States would be most appropriate if they wanted to do a re-alignment, but really just a very simple and I assume quick, move to the already existing RAT-Southwest would be great as well.

To further the case for the move, the Colorado RAT's have been the largest contingent at the Triumphs in Taos event. Where is Taos, NM? In the Southwest, were we should also be :)

Congratulations on your new bike! Enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 212 Posts