Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I spent some wrench time bumping up my jets to 40/100 because the bike was running a bit lean with my modified emgo exhaust.

I got up today and the temps were 24F. My bike has NEVER started at below 30. On top of it all I had installed a Lithium Iron phosphate battery. They are notorious for being underpowered in cold weather.

I didn't plan on riding but just for fun I though I would try to start it up. 1/3 choke and first press she sprang to life. Battery had plenty of oomph and the new jets got things rich enough to make it all work perfectly. It is small, light and cranks like crazy! Just a battery tender brand off amazon. Using a cheap bike master trickle charger to keep it topped off.

Had to tell someone who would appreciate it. Wife just looked at me blankly when I walked in with a huge grin and told her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been having problem with my legend starting due to the weather and am thinking about getting a better battery (was thinking about AGM before seeing this post). This post came just in time. I still have a walmart lead-acid battery...

Also, it says that lithium batteries should be charged with lithium charger, does it really matters which charger I use?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an AGM that I thought was bad. Turns out it was the charger. I did a little experiment when the Lithium battery arrived. I charged them both at the same time with two different chargers. After two days the Lithium was north of 13v and the AGM was just south of 13. Thought I had figured it out until I switched the chargers. Two days later the AGM was north of 13 and the Lithium was just south of 13. My fancy charger was crap!

Both batteries start the bike just fine now that I know the issue was the charger. I am using a cheap "bike master" charger and it dials it in perfectly. I am an electronics guy so I have a multimeter and have left the Lithium on the charger for about a month and monitored it to make sure I didn't get overvoltage. Nope! Cheap charger without a desulphate mode works great so far!

Leaving the lithium on the trickle charger might also be why it fired up so quickly when cold. Lithium batteries need to warm up and having it on the charger might have taken care of that. As long as I am pulling out from my trickle charged parking spot, I don't see a reason not to use the lithium. More CCA, lighter, can go deeper and still deliver power, more recharge cycles, faster recharging. They have a reduced capacity but since they deliver consistent power when drawn down, this may be negligible. Might be time for these. I will know after a season of hard use.

·
Registered
204 Posts
One of these days we'll meet up in Hershey and you can teach me some things but I was out for a good hour on Saturday as the boss and the kids went shopping (uh no, I'll pass and stay home honey). I keep mine on a trickle charger as well (cheapo from Harbor Freight) and I have had no issues with it starting. Can't believe how cold it still is in South central PA but I'm hoping that I can put my truck away in 2-3 weeks and start riding to work every day.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
One of these days we'll meet up in Hershey and you can teach me some things but I was out for a good hour on Saturday as the boss and the kids went shopping (uh no, I'll pass and stay home honey). I keep mine on a trickle charger as well (cheapo from Harbor Freight) and I have had no issues with it starting. Can't believe how cold it still is in South central PA but I'm hoping that I can put my truck away in 2-3 weeks and start riding to work every day.
Saturday, around 3pm got really nice. Had a nice blast around the area (didn't want to get road crap on the TBS). Now it's cold again.

I put 40 pilot jets on my TBS and it starts a lot better. Also agree that an AGM battery is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AGM is definitely the safe bet but I will be a guinea pig with the Lithium. Still have my AGM on the trickle charger just in case. When the bike cranked strong at 24F with the lithium I was surprised. That was supposed to be the weak point and it didn't happen.

Only a full season of abuse will give us the answer. I will keep you posted. I think the majority of my battery problems over the years were not really the fault of the battery: bad setup, dirty jets, defective chargers, no chargers, less than optimal parking spot, etc...

These bikes run much better if you take care of them...what a surprise!

·
Registered
482 Posts
i have an AGM too and it's a huge improvement over the old wet cell batteries that always struggled to stay charged up through cold weather and often died too soon. i think my battery tender junior is definitely a huge help in the longevity department.

nativebrooktrout: i'm almost entirely sure that lithium batteries have to be charged on a special lithium battery charger. maybe LiFe Batteries are different that Li Ion? i would definitely look into before doing anymore testing.

that lithium battery should do fine on the bike by itself for a few years. apparently lithium batteries are really good at holding a charge while sitting on the shelf for decades? how do they test that sort of thing anyway?

glad to hear it worked out, just not worth to me to pay $50 extra and have something else to remember.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty comfortable with the charger. I did my homework first. Desulfation modes, overcharging and allowing the voltage to drop below 8v will kill a LiFe battery.

Handy with all things electronic (I own a small amplifier company as a side business). I don't see an issue here. Check out the Shorai site and you will see they don't have a problem with people using standard chargers on their LiFe batteries. They mention the desulfation mode thing but I don't think I have ever owned a charger that had that anyway.

Let's see where this goes...I have a voltage monitor inline with the charger so I am not going to destroy anything that I can't easily fix. Wish I were that confident with the carbs and the engine!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad those jets (and battery) are working for you! My bike will start flooded in 6 deg weather after sitting a week or so. (Don't ask,lol)
I have done a lot of long distance riding below freezing and I went AGM on all my bikes just for peace of mind. If we strip down my buddies 360, one of those Shorai batteries would be awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ended up buying an AGM battery... couldn't bit the bullet on the lithium. The AGM costs ~$40 and comes with 18 month warranty. The lithium just costs too much now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts