Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2007 T100 (stock, no AI) out for a short ride this morning. It was below freezing, 28 F. I could tell after two hits of the starter with full choke it was going to be a real hard start. Thinking about all the posts about how we have don't have a choke but an enrichener setup I pulled my side cover and covered 1/2 to 3/4 of the snorkel with my hand, hit the starter and it came to life and idled at 1400 RPMs. After 5-10 seconds I removed my hand and it kept on idling fine. Put the cover back on and suited up, (all of about 3 min). Pushed in the choke, hit the throttle and away I went. Only issue is that I now know that I NEED heated grips.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The effect of restricting airflow is to richen the mixture. Maybe Triumph (or Keihin) didn't allow for temps as low as we would like, but there is nothing wrong with the design.

I had an old Volvo PV544 with twin SU carbs (not that different than the carbs on our bikes). Pulling the choke knob dropped the jets off the needles - very effectively providing a rich mixture. That car started in sub-zero temps when nothing else would.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been starting my Scrambler in the early morning at temps down to 20 recently. Starts like a champ every time, but I'm finally using "full choke", and it definitely needs to go a few blocks before it starts to warm up.

I'm beginning to believe that every one of these bikes behaves a little differently. Mine is unusually warm blooded. Fortunately, the same thing can be said for its owner.

That said, as I discovered this morning, just because I can make the ride to work in jeans and thermals at 30 degrees (plus about four layers up top squeezed under my jacket) doesn't mean that the same setup is anything resembling comfortable at 25. I also couldn't find my insulated gloves this morning. I will be late before I do that again.

Heated gear... here I come!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm running FCR39s and they have no choke of course. 10-12 twists of the throttle and they start up fine. Had to repeat at -5C, but starter and battery are strong. I've set the idle to 1500 instead of the 900 or so I do in the summer. Grumbles, but runs. Once warm, it's just like summer. Sadly, while I was washing the bike last Saturday it started to snow, and hasn't really stopped since. So that's it for the year. Sigh....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts