Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am riding a 2015 Triumph Scrambler that is 1 year old with original battery. I have two separate and mildly annoying things happening.

First, when it is below 30ish degrees overnight the bike tends to not want to start. The preignition stuff will all work, but then when the starter button is pressed, it just clicks. I can jump this with an antigravity micro start and its good to go.

The second thing happens around 10 degrees, I will put the key in the ignition, turn it... and nothing. It acts as if the key is simply not there. My solution around this has been to either get out a low powered heat gun... or hot water.

I have yet to diagnose the exact area that brings the bike to life but I usually try to warm up around the ignition, the clutch control (this will sometimes freeze and act as if the clutch isnt being pulled in) and the battery area. After about a minute preignition will do its thing and then i can jump the bike.

While I have this lovely work around, something seems off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
So I am riding a 2015 Triumph Scrambler that is 1 year old with original battery. I have two separate and mildly annoying things happening.

First, when it is below 30ish degrees overnight the bike tends to not want to start. The preignition stuff will all work, but then when the starter button is pressed, it just clicks. I can jump this with an antigravity micro start and its good to go.

The second thing happens around 10 degrees, I will put the key in the ignition, turn it... and nothing. It acts as if the key is simply not there. My solution around this has been to either get out a low powered heat gun... or hot water.

I have yet to diagnose the exact area that brings the bike to life but I usually try to warm up around the ignition, the clutch control (this will sometimes freeze and act as if the clutch isnt being pulled in) and the battery area. After about a minute preignition will do its thing and then i can jump the bike.

While I have this lovely work around, something seems off. Any ideas?
Read the many posts on the "click" mine does it cold or warm, high fully charged battery. I either wait for the instruments to return to 0 or simply hold the starter button. A lot of psycosymantalization on this one. Low battery charge, relay etc. have been accused but all my friends with the EFIs have the same periodic "problem, we work around it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Vitesse is correct, and to be an ass, I'm expressing my concern that one, especially from Boston, starts a sentence with an adjective. Not proper old boy.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Don't chill out so much

My solution around this has been to either get out a low powered heat gun... or hot water.

I have yet to diagnose the exact area that brings the bike to life but I usually try to warm up around the ignition, the clutch control (this will sometimes freeze and act as if the clutch isnt being pulled in) and the battery area.
Mr. Mbennettphoto,

I would discontinue the use of hot water. That's just asking for further trouble. Besides corrosion, there is the possibility of a freeze crack of some part of the bike. Make sure the clutch switch is operating as it should, and not partially frozen.

Vitesse's reply was spot on. Their are a lot of previous posts about this issue.

Vitesse is correct, and to be an ass, I'm expressing my concern that one, especially from Boston, starts a sentence with an adjective. Not proper old boy.
Mr. TVR1979,

So you must know by now that starting a sentence with so is like OK and grammer is so not important and that like everyone just says what like they want.

Namaste,
Charles

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had this problem and it was fixed by disassembling the starter button housing and cleaning the contacts with a point file.The starter button contacts look exactly like the points in my old 50 chevy and cleaned up the same way.They are a substantial item and easy to access (don't lose any little parts while doing the job-like the little spring)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've had this problem in temperatures of 0-10 Fahrenheit. I attribute it to the extremely thick oil at those temperatures (the clutch is hard to pull in) combined with a most likely less than optimal state of battery charge. Perhaps using 10W-40 or even 5W-40 instead of 10W-50 would alleviate things. However, the previous poster's suggestion is certainly worth investigating, and it'll be something I do if I have this problem in the future.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Correction obsession

Someone can spend their whole lives correcting the increasing misuse and misspelling of words on forums.

Some of the most common on this site:

"to" instead of "too"
"breaks" instead of "brakes."
"milage" instead of "mileage"
their, there
fare, fair
cite, site, sight

Many more...

The new Bonnevilles have a safety anti-theft device where riders have to properly insert the spelling of "catalytic" and "cylinder" or the bike won't start. :|

Anyway, if my experience with my 2013 Bonneville is typical, these bikes just get cranky in the cold. Beyond that, it is not unusual at all that hitting the starter switch often will be rewarded with only a click. I've been told that the ECU is hunting for the TPS reading. I find if I just stay on the switch, rather than let go of it and try it again, it clicks once or twice more and then starts.

Reactions: Hedgepig

·
Registered
459 Posts
LOL, 'So' is not an adjective anyway Mr Pedantic, it's a submodifier:grin2:

Coming from the UK, my first thoughts were why the hell would anyone want to start a bike in -30 degrees; but of course you're talking Fahrenheit, a mild frost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts