Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled the tank today for Bike Nite on thurs. When home did some cipherin & found I got 30 MPG this tank. I guess its the extra warm-up & sluggishness till warm. It sure runs like a bandit in this air tho! Maybe its just me enjoying the extra ummph ? Usually I get 45-50 MPG. Ill take the git over the gas tho any day! :cool:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cold in Fl??

I've noticed a bit of a drop off in cold weather too. Probably because I've upped the idle a bit to help cold starts and the extra warm-up time as you mentioned. Was consistently getting 50+ in the summer but now averaging low-mid 40's.

What are you going to do? Still better to be out there riding. :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
SAME THING HERE NOT QUITE THAT BAD BUT THE BEOTCH IS COLD BLOODED , RODE IT THIS MORNING AND YES THEY LIKE IT COLD SHE RUNS HOT IN THE COLD THEY ALL DO, WARM UP TIME MESSING WITH THE CHOKE WHILE RIDING , YOU KNOW.
I HAVE THE OFF ROAD PIPES AND I TOOK THE CARBS OFF AND HAD A FRIEND PULL THE PLUGS NOW IT RUNS MUCH BETTER ON HIGH END BUT ITS STILL VERY COLD BLOODED
AND POPS AT LOW END DID YOU {PABONNE} WHEN YOU TRIMMED YOUR SNORKEL DID YOU CUT A HOLE IN THE OTHER END ? AND HOWS YOUR BIKE RUN AT LOWER SPEEDS,
ANNNND DID YOU REPLACE THE FILTER WITH A K&N.

THANKS

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
these CV carbs can be weather sensitive. They are on the edge of lean from the factory and colder air is denser, so they will run leaner in the cold = less power = more throttle = worse MPGs.

I keep my D shaped tool in my pocket to tweak as necessary.

If you are on the edge of lean the weather could make it extra lean, hurting performance.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never heard of "Winter Grade Gasoline"? A little Ethanol in there & I am sure she would do better? :???: :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
On 2006-11-29 15:54, CAPTDON wrote:
I never heard of "Winter Grade Gasoline"? A little Ethanol in there & I am sure she would do better? :???: :cool:

That's the main reason the oil companies give for the price of gasoline going up in the wintertime. They have to change over to a winter-blend gasoline. :pkit:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've seen a slight decrease too overall. A head wind while doing a lot of hwy riding really makes a difference in my mileage, which makes sense, but when I fill up and see my mileage lower, I have to think which way has the wind been blowing.

kurtisf,

WHEN YOU TRIMMED YOUR SNORKEL DID YOU CUT A HOLE IN THE OTHER END ?
I took off my snorkel and put an air swoop attached to it. Put in a UNI filter. All I could say is that it sure seems faster to me since I did that. Before if a car took off fast at a red light, I could keep up with it, but after the snorkel came off, the fast take off cars are behind me if I desire to push it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
{PABONNE} WHEN YOU TRIMMED YOUR SNORKEL DID YOU CUT A HOLE IN THE OTHER END ? AND HOWS YOUR BIKE RUN AT LOWER SPEEDS,
ANNNND DID YOU REPLACE THE FILTER WITH A K&N.
no; great; no :-D

immediate performance gain with the snorkel mod. Bike is definitely running lean. If I can ever get the frickin' tamper plugs out to get to the idle mixture screws I will richin it up a bit and see if she runs even better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A SELF TAPPING SCREW WORKS GOOD TO TAKE THE PLUGS
OUT SHORT ENOUGH NOT TO HURT ANY THING ELSE AFTER I TOOK THE CARBS OFF A FRIND OF MINE DID IT , CAME RIGHT OUT

·
Registered
621 Posts
When winter really sets in we get awful milage on bikes up here in Canada! They hardly seem to go anywhere. Maybe they need rejeting?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MY UPMOST APOLOGY TO WHO SUGESTED "WINTER GAS". I THOUGHT A JOKE? READ AN ARTICLE TODAY ABOUT JUST THAT! I DONT THINK WE REQUIRE IT HERE IN FLA BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE PUMPING ANYWHERE. ITS A POSSIBILITY. RUNS GOOD- 10 MPG LESS IS LIKE "WHO CARES"? I ENJOY THE COOL WEATHER & SO DOES THE BIKE. aGAIN MY APOLIGIES! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts