Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know if this is normal before my warranty is up.....

When i start my bike from cold it fires first time and fast idles at about 2k revs, but only for 10 secs max, then drops to a lumpy 8-900 revs whilst it warms up. When warm it idles about 1100 rpm.

It hasnt ever cut out at the 800 rpm stage but sounds very "lumpy" and as if it might do so.

Is there a thermostat/cold starting mechanism i need to look at??:D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Mine doesn't drop below 1100 or so (but then I may not ride in what you consider "cold"!). The idle speed is controlled by the ECU instructing the IACV or stepper motor to let more or less air into the venturis, so this may be sticking.

If you're still under warranty, I'd pop back to the dealer and get them to look for any fault codes.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
On mine will often cut out almost immediately and have to restart. on second start will fire and run fine. Maybe I should take my in for a check

·
Registered
370 Posts
sounds like the injectors could be out of sync,its a very cheap and simple fix ,but a dealer has to do it with a machine he plugs into your bikes ecu.

and how do i get rid of that damn suzuki advert at the top of each page,it keeps rolling down over everything i am trying to read,even after i click close in the top right hand corner of the advert.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Start up on cold - 2k revs or thereabouts, settles down to between 1200-1400 and stays there.

Tickover is the same in warm weather too.

I'd take yours in.

Can you smell unburnt petrol ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi BignGreen,
Mine (2005) does exactly the same. Starts, revs drop, goes lumpy, then gradually picks up to settle at about 1100. Once warm she runs sweet as a nut,so no worries.
Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
ive noticed with mine that if i start it up without touching the throttle it runs at about 2k then graualy drops as it warms up, however if i touch the thottle after start up, the revs drop and runs rough as a dog.
Ive started just leeving it a minute now without touching the throttle and it all just settles down and runs smooth.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On mine will often cut out almost immediately and have to restart. on second start will fire and run fine. Maybe I should take my in for a check
Mine has been doing the same since I bought it. It's a 2003 Tiger 955i. Learn't to live with expecting 2 starts in the morning. Once warm it will start fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I used to have trouble starting mine if I hadn't used it for a few days, and it seems it was down to twisting the throttle, albeit very slightly, when starting. This was just bad habit from starting my Suzuki, which would only start this way. Nowadays, I deliberately use my forefinger to press the starter rather than my thumb - it makes it impossible to touch the gas as the starter turns over. Result - the bike starts first time, ticks over around 2k at first, and gradually drops over a minute or so, and I try to leave it a couple of minutes before I touch the throttle to move off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts