Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to replace / repair some old parts this winter on my 1969 Tiger 650 to be ready for spring :grin2:

Replaced the points with an EI system - great now !
Replaced the old Amal carb with a new one (slide was worn out) and am having the old one rebuilt for a spare.

Tried to start yesterday (temp around 48 F) and it was very hard to start. I ended up squirting some carb cleaner into the intake to get it going and it ran great after that. Any ideas why it would be so hard to start or is this just a classic cold starting issue :grin2:

Seemed like maybe just not getting fuel up to the carb. Maybe jets are too small? Vacuum leak? Runs fine after it's warmed up and has no issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I would add that with electronic ignition,it may not start if your kick is not fast enough.A lot down to experience and usually no choke needed.If all else fails,easy start is your best friend.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It kicks easy once I hit it with some carb cleaner spray in the carb on first kick.

I am wondering if I tuned it with the choke on and now it's too lean when I start it cold.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Start it again with Pauls instructions.If not first kick,it should start by the third attempt.Tiny bit of throttle applied as you kick it over and when it fires,a little bit more.Not a great big handful.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks too all !

I will double check the choke and make sure it's slack on starting and I didn't tune it with in "ON".

Seems like it just needs more fuel on the cold start and once I shoot some carb cleaner in there it gets the vacuum going and fuel is sucked in?

It's a new carb and was running fine until this start after the last tune in the summer. Maybe some fuel got gummed up in the idle or pilot line?

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 1971 Tiger 650. Cold starting procedure is..... clear the clutch, decent tickle, kick over three times with ignition off, tickle again, ignition on and away it goes !! Have done this on many an occasion on weekends away with the Club at country pubs at 10 degrees C or less.
good luck....

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Pauhig has hit on something............close the choke, tickle the carb, and with the key off, pull in the clutch and kick it over until it kicks with no resistance; this has the double benefit of freeing up the clutch and drawing fuel into the motor, then re-tickle the carb, turn on the key and kick it over with just, what the Brits would call, a "whiff of throttle". It should start with no problem.

Always worked for the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again !! Will try the "double tickle" that might be the trick.

Sure runs great once it's started. The EI was the best thing I ever did for the bike. Runs so smooth and strong now.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Is the jetting the same as your old carb ? They don't like to start when lean but you should be fine if you tickle it enough. I agree that with EI you need a healthy kick, hence my affection for points.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Starting Spray

Never, never use the stuff! A little to much will raise the compression (when the engine fires) to the point where a piston can be holed or rod bent. I have operative choke slides fitted, never used them Summer or Winter.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
There seems to be a confusion of the spray used.The OP says its carb cleaner but i suspect it is starting spray.Often,a bike laid up for quite a short time can clog its jets a little.Before i leave my bike for a few weeks,i squirt a little cleaner into the carb.If it is a difficult starter next time out,i do use a starter spray mainly because of my bad knees not being able to keep going.
Once fired up,the blockage soon dissolves anyway.Never a major problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The starting fluid is just carb cleaner not strating fluid (ether). I don't think it's the jets as they don't do anything at start or idle anyway. I haven't had time to check again yet, but here's my top three: 1) carb tuned with choke on (new install and maybe I did this? 2) clogged pilot or idle hole (will clean out) 3) clogged fuel line or tank vent

Anyone know if the timming was a little off if it would be hard to start, but run fine when warmed up?

J

1 - 20 of 35 Posts