Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 T595: Ran fine when parked. Sat for a couple of weeks. Battery is charged. Turns over but wouldn't start. Fuel pump is cycling ok. Checked fuses and relay connections...no problems. Still wouldn't start. Confirmed it wouldn't start in neutral with kickstand up. Took the clutch cover off and ran a feeler gauge through the crankshaft position sensor gap at 1 mm. Did this for all cylinder points. Did not change the gap because it was ok. Disconnected the wiring connector and it was ok as well. Put it all back together and the bike started.
So my question: Should I re-gap the sensor to give more gap? Are these better at a larger gap? Do you think this was the problem? I have had this problem before and now I can't trust the bike. Also I have not located the ground block to check that problem.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I'd start (no pun) by using contact cleaner to flush both the sidestand switch and clutch switch. Clean and closely inspect that connector as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll go back through both of them again.
Any feedback on the gap for the crankshaft position sensor?

·
Super Moderator
21,345 Posts
If your gap is 1mm leave it alone.
You didn't really change anything between it not starting, then starting - other than disconnect/reconnect the CPS - it's possible you have a problem with that connector/harness but it could be just coincidence. Or maybe you cleared some metallic crud off the sensor when you checked the gap?
@andrewb - Clutch is not an interlock for bike to fire off and run - ONLY for the starter to run; since starter is running, clutch switch is not an issue
If Neutral switch is made then side-stand is not a factor either (since OP tried with both in Neutral AND side-stand up at same time, it is unlikely this is an issue as would require BOTH to be failed which is realistically beyond likelihood)

If you can't find ground block @Mtdesign you may not have one - early T595's appear to use a different harness ground scheme (although have never seen one personally)
It should be in the area in front right side of the battery box - if not obvious you probably don't have it.

You started off calling it a 'cold start' problem - then in text, described it more as problem restarting after it was laid up.
Is it always more difficult to start when it's cold? And OK when it's been warmed up?
You can make a change in the Map that can enrich the fuel ratio for cold starting (it already does, maybe needs a bit more)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@DEcosse: This problem is for an engine that turns over but does not start. It acts like a no spark problem although not confirmed by checking plugs. Once I got it started it pops right up and runs fine...not a warm up issue. I went out this morning and it started right up before posting this reply. When checking the crankshaft sensor I didn't notice any crude in there. Looks very clean and connector inside was clean on the electrical. Problem seems to occur once the bike sits but that may be a coincidence.
Can you confirm that this is an alarm connection?
Always a big thanks to you.
Michael

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,345 Posts
Nice clean looking bike!

Yes, that is the alarm connector

Ground Block -

(note that it is FORWARD of the battery box)

Once I got it started it pops right up and runs fine...not a warm up issue.
The warm-up table does not only affect how it runs when started, it actually makes it easier to start - by increasing the enrichment factor, that is like using choke on a carb bike - it increases the fuel to air ratio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the picture of the ground block. Mine does not have one.
I have ordered the interface cable so that I can access ecu and learn more about this.
Since I'm at 7,000 feet I will be careful with enriching any factors.
Still a mystery on the occasional no start issue possibly related to crankshaft sensor connection.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
21,345 Posts
... Since I'm at 7,000 feet I will be careful with enriching any factors..
That is moot, as the baratron will already address the difference because of air density
So it's not like it will over-ride that - just enrich vs whatever the current applicable parameters are, already taking into that air factor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts