Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my bike in January, I've been riding with deerskin gloves that have zero protection from wind and impact. I was too excited to be riding in January to let the cold get to me.
Now that the temperature here on Long Island, NY is dropping I thought I'd get a pair of cold-weather gloves. Well here's what I picked up.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/17120/ITEM/Alpinestars-Polar-Goretex-Gloves.aspx

It took 1 week for them to arrive and 1 35 minute commute to work on Friday for me to want to send them back. The leather stops just on the edges of the fingertips and that's precisely where the wind and cold bite most. The only place the cold bothers me when riding is my hands. I will not buy any sort of grip warmers or heated gloves so those are right out. Nor do I wish to completely throw style out of the window and get a pair of fat ugly mits.

Can anyone offer suggestions for those of you that enjoy year-long riding? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I snowboard and ride in cold weather a lot. Try REI for some gauntlet style gloves with removable liners (easier to dry 'em out). They have a liberal return policy too if you don't like them. They can be near 200.00USD for the expedition weight stuff. Sorry I cannot recommend a specific brand as I think they are all made in the same factory in China. I just look for features and of course what appears to be warmth and quality and I still have (most) of my fingers.:D Plus you can always slip those "hand warmer" packets into them-those are cheap and they usually fit into a pouch on the BACK of the glove. The key to warmth is LAYERING. I've ridden 20+ years in everything from blizzards to desert heat and have NEVER worn mitts. But hey if they work. Do it. Your comfort (and safe ability to operate your ride) is more important than what a bunch of non-riders (who really wish they were you) think.
Good Luck.
CC

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gurthang,

Given my limited experience in cold-weather riding (i.e., first year), I found a lined, thick leather gauntlet to work best. The thick leather protects from the wind, the lining keeps the hands warm, and the gauntlet style keeps the wind out of your sleeves.

Most of the cold-weather riders I know run electrics (heated) gear. I really think that's the way to go, especially with gloves. Hands are hard to keep warm and it's better to do it without the bulk.

If you decide not to do electrics, here are some options for you:

Aerostich Elkskin Gauntlet #464
Lee Parks Design Deerskin gloves
Vanson Super Rocket or Lineman

I run a pair of cheapo eBay specials (US$15) from bikeraccess. They work great, but the leather's pretty cheap.

I found the fit & finish of the glove to be really important as they get thicker with lining. Some lined gloves didn't work as well for me, as they were pretty bulky, which made it harder to work the hand controls.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Since I got my bike in January, I've been riding with deerskin gloves that have zero protection from wind and impact. I was too excited to be riding in January to let the cold get to me.
Now that the temperature here on Long Island, NY is dropping I thought I'd get a pair of cold-weather gloves. Well here's what I picked up.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/17120/ITEM/Alpinestars-Polar-Goretex-Gloves.aspx

It took 1 week for them to arrive and 1 35 minute commute to work on Friday for me to want to send them back. The leather stops just on the edges of the fingertips and that's precisely where the wind and cold bite most. The only place the cold bothers me when riding is my hands. I will not buy any sort of grip warmers or heated gloves so those are right out. Nor do I wish to completely throw style out of the window and get a pair of fat ugly mits.

Can anyone offer suggestions for those of you that enjoy year-long riding? Thanks!
I've got a pair of Widder electric gloves that run off the bike's battery. They'll take you very comfortably down to 30-40 degrees. Below freezing, you're pretty much screwed in my experience.

One thing to remember, though. If you core temperature starts to go down, your body gives up on the extremeties and starts pooling blood in the core to keep it warm. That's one reason your fingers and toes go numb first. So one of the best ways to keep your hands warm is to make sure your torso is good and toasty.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I don't do cold-weather riding because I don't like it and I did more than my share of it when I was young, but a couple of my friends say the electric vest and gloves are great.

A few days ago, I read of the death of a rider who rear-ended a stopped car or truck here in central Maryland. I wonder if his judgement and alertness were clouded by being too cold.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to look into all the options you posted and post back with what I've decided to go with and whether or not it's effective. I wrote off electrics right out of the gate but it looks like I might investigate further based on what I'm reading. Someone at a local gear shop was also saying how below a certain temperature it doesn't matter what kind of glove you wear, barring electric, you're going to freeze.

quagmire those sound pretty serious and expensive but I'll look them up and see what options there are. I've been thinking of non-motorcycle riding gloves as an option of late.

grailer that's some good information and I appreciate the links. I'll definitely look into them. I noticed this weekend a few riders parked at a 7-11 and I wanted to stop and ask them their opinion (it was 30 degrees out) but I couldn't safely get over so I kept on course.

Dangermouse I bundle up pretty well up top but I could also be losing a lot of heat from my legs so maybe that's something to consider. Right now the heaviest I go with down there is a pair of long-johns underneath normal jeans. It could be time to trade up.

Baltobonneville I know exactly what that feels like. After 30 minutes on the highway when it's time to get off at the exit for my work the braking and downshifting takes a lot of concentration because of the mobility my fingers have lost due to the cold. I try to exercise them a bit when riding and when stopped I warm them a bit on the engine.

Thanks again, all!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to look into all the options you posted and post back with what I've decided to go with and whether or not it's effective. I wrote off electrics right out of the gate but it looks like I might investigate further based on what I'm reading. Someone at a local gear shop was also saying how below a certain temperature it doesn't matter what kind of glove you wear, barring electric, you're going to freeze.

quagmire those sound pretty serious and expensive but I'll look them up and see what options there are. I've been thinking of non-motorcycle riding gloves as an option of late.

grailer that's some good information and I appreciate the links. I'll definitely look into them. I noticed this weekend a few riders parked at a 7-11 and I wanted to stop and ask them their opinion (it was 30 degrees out) but I couldn't safely get over so I kept on course.

Dangermouse I bundle up pretty well up top but I could also be losing a lot of heat from my legs so maybe that's something to consider. Right now the heaviest I go with down there is a pair of long-johns underneath normal jeans. It could be time to trade up.

Baltobonneville I know exactly what that feels like. After 30 minutes on the highway when it's time to get off at the exit for my work the braking and downshifting takes a lot of concentration because of the mobility my fingers have lost due to the cold. I try to exercise them a bit when riding and when stopped I warm them a bit on the engine.

Thanks again, all!
I wear a layer of polypropelene long johns (Under Armour) with a layer of regular waffle-style long johns over. I also do a Goretex Windstopper dickie thing on my neck up to my ears, a thinsulate Tourmaster jacket, mountain climbing socks under my boots, and the electric gloves I told you about.

Even with all that, I really can't say I'm warm below 30 degrees. I'm not what I'd call mentally compromised by it, either, though. Typically if it's below freezing, I'm in a car wishing it were warmer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I went with WWII gloves I got at a surplus store and cheap cotton knit liners to wear inside of them. The end up being really warm, but not bulky at all... I did some searching and found them on line.

The Liners:
http://www.brightshine.com/men-s-string-knit.gax782.0.7.htm?LID=BNXTG&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=18-23492291-2

The Gloves:
http://www.wephaus.com/proddetail.php?prod=113608&cat=28

The combo works really well for me, my jacket seals around the gloves pretty well so I don't get any air in between, the cotton liners make for a great insulator to keep the heat in and the leather outer keeps the wind out and my hands dry.

I've worn these as cold as 30*F and been comfortable.... needed warmer pants before my hands were cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts