Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some old and new threads and noticed quite a few people having trouble starting their 955cc Daytonas. I had an '04 with this issue. After it was stolen, I replaced it with an 'o6 and still experienced this concern.
It seems to be a fuel pressure concern from what I've found. Anyone who's had this problem, try this: Make sure the tranny's in neutral, make sure the kill switch is in the run position, and key in ignition in "off" position. When you turn the key to "on" position the fuel pump will run. Don't let it finish. Start cranking as soon as you turn the key to "on". It's helped my starting issues on both bikes and fires right up by the 2nd to 3rd revolution, even when COLD. I suppose the high fuel pressure makes the engine run a little too rich and makes starting hard until it clears its throat, so to speak. Let me know how it works for you.;)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
drive955i, The cold starting problen has to do with the 10% ethanol blend in US gasoline. The real problem can be cured by raising the CO % in the long term fuel trim. The UK uses a 5% blend, 10% is just a bit outside the standard Triumph parameters, tho' the owner's manual states it's acceptable...which it is, just not cold starts.

Brad

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe that ethanol and the cold starts is why I have to do plugs once a year at least.

Everytime my girl gets a cold attitude I change plugs.

Works every time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like plugs should last a little longer than one year, unless you put a ton of miles on each year. I'd hate to think that I should change my plugs after just two thousand miles! The ethanol mix makes good sense for trouble starting. Without searching for gas stations that don't use ethanol mix (I think there are few, and far between) I'll just stick with what works for me. I'll save the plugs for a later date.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had hard starting on my 06.
Its only done 3000km now, but when not in use for a week or so I turn the key on once till pump stops, turn off. Turn key on again till pump stops, hit button, fires into life good.
So guess was giving it 2 primes.
But will try what was mentioned above as a matter of interest about hitting the button straight away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seems like plugs should last a little longer than one year, unless you put a ton of miles on each year. I'd hate to think that I should change my plugs after just two thousand miles! The ethanol mix makes good sense for trouble starting. Without searching for gas stations that don't use ethanol mix (I think there are few, and far between) I'll just stick with what works for me. I'll save the plugs for a later date.
It all depends on how those 2000 miles are put on it.

I worked at a dealership for a while, and every single bike would foul plugs. Air cooled, water cooled, twin triple and four.

It's just that they never get the long highway cleanout or even the chance to operate in full temp.

If you do a lot of city driving, the plugs don't last.

I've had a set last 14000 miles, another that fouled after 500. (I don't clean plugs, I just replace them like a snob :) )

It's all about my tune and my driving habits.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
activeseven, I'm not sure about PCIII, but the dealer can alter the CO and you can if you have a TuneBoy.

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts